Thread: P-86 Mustang
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
KAILUAZ
Infidel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-86/93 Mustang

**I hope you don't have dial-up, there are lots of pics in here**
I'm going to build this into a auto-crosser thats loud, obnoxious, and nasty. Kind of a HMMWV meets Mustang kind of thing. Scroll down for more details.

I just cut and pasted from my other post, but here it goes:

Day one, 86 Notch, former 4 banger:

There were all kinds of surprises!

This should have been a sign of things to come!

The car was musty so I pulled the cowl. I found this:

Which turned into this:

Oh well, makes it that much lighter!
I started the tear down:

The junk pile:

Engine out, thanks to Jeff and Ed (and Wade for letting me borrow the hoist):

More pressure washing:

LSC rear end:

End of the day:

So where is this whole thing heading?
I was sitting in our office one day and noticed a toy I had gotten my son (well it was my excuse anyway). I thought, wow it would be cool to go with a military theme. Since I was in the Army and always loved military vehicles I though why not.
Then I came across the F-Bomb Camaro and Chip Foose's P-32. I really liked what they did, but it wasn't really "Army" enough. I've always liked traditional hot rods and "rat rods" and the raw simple look they have. I'm also a huge WWII airplane buff and after visiting Fantasy of Flight I was hooked on the "theme".
We all were affected by 911 and one of the stories I always followed was that of Pat Tillman. Name one other "star" or athlete who gave up money, fame, etc to join the military after 911. I thought Pat did what my grandparents generation did after Pearl Harbor, they joined up to do something! He paid the ultimate price while "doing something" about it. I'm going to incorporate the number "40" that the NFL wore for a while into the theme.

**edit** Check out the Pat Tillman Foundation at the link below:
http://www.pattillmanfoundation.org/

So thats it for now, I have some other tricks up my sleeve, I just hope I can stay on track with the build.
My sons toy:

F-Bomb Camaro:

P-32:

A few plane pics. If you ever get the chance, check out Fantasy of Flight.
http://www.fantasyofflight.com/

This is the interior color I'm going with:

P-51 cockpit:

A cool hot rod interior:

Tillman #40:

It was a nice day for wrenching so I pulled the tank. After getting a lung full of fuel, I busted out the shop vac to get the suction going,,, I'm just glad I didn't burn the place down. I was stoked to see there was no rust in the trunk area and everything was straight. Its amazing the amount of dirt that was still up there! Time to get the pressure washer out again.
I also picked up a tilt column on the cheap from Adam. I like my wheel low so this should help out a bit.
Thats it for today.

A little more from today. Tore out the steering column and pedal assembly. The rust zombies really tore this cowl up!!!

Last edited by KAILUAZ; 05-21-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Added the 93 :) and more links