View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 PM
a69tarbaby
tsb bike ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by **CHRIS**
...How did you get past the "rational" fear so you could ride again? I miss riding alot.... but everytime I get on a bike, all I can think of is how vunerable I am....

I don't want to think of myself as a "pussy".... but.... Is it normal to feel fear? And if so.... when does that fear turn from a healthy, alert kind of thing, into a hazard?...
I try not to fear any situation, but I certainly do have a healthier respect for certain scenarios. If you feel your heartrate increase, you forget to breathe, grip your bars (or tank) tighter; then your fear is getting the better of you... and you're probably not ready to be back on two wheels yet. A year later, I still slow down more and breathe a little heavier when I approach the intersection that I slid through.

On the larger roads, I tend to ride in the center lane. This gives me more space to watch out for cars turning across a median AND avoid cars pulling out from side streets. Plus, it gives others more opportunity to see me. When I'm riding alone, I WILL change my lane position more; simply based on traffic and road conditions.

I don't know how you crashed, but if there is even one thing you can think of that *might* have changed the outcome; you may want to implement that into your riding. For example: if it was at night, make yourself more visible with more lights and reflective tape. I haven't put it on the new bike yet, but I had a modulating (flashing) headlight and it really helped with visibility during daylight hours.

You might want to consider taking an Advanced / Experienced Rider MSF course. Re-learning and practicing those skills, might help you shake off the dust and regain some of your confidence. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

P.S. -I do give you credit for facing those fears NOW, instead of blindly jumping on and then thinking about it.

I'm not riding fast... just flying at a low altitude!

Last edited by a69tarbaby; 06-21-2007 at 09:31 PM.