For Sale/WTB Subaru Strictly Subaru For Sale/WTB

wtb....

Old 10-30-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtb....

I just bought a 93 subaru L sedan. which i am wantin to do a complete gc8 sti conversion. please forgive me as i am new to subie. i switched from nissan.! I am in search of the awd componets for a 5 speed. like the whole rear assembly, tranny, and drive shaft. i am a student, wokin a low waage job. any help would help. thank you for lookin and your time.
pm me or email me at

codys_s13@yahoo.com
Old 11-02-2009, 05:46 PM
KAX

when you say gc8 sti, do you mean an actual GC8 STi from Japan? Or a GC8 with an USDM Sti drivetrain?

The former is probably a little bit cheaper in the short run, as (suprisingly) the older EJ20's are relatively cheap. Its just more of a hassle because you need to buy the engine, ECU, crossmember, transmission, axles, driveshaft, rear diff, etc. Also, if something breaks, it may not be replacable with a USDM part so you have to get it from Japan. So it may end up more expensive in the long-run.

The latter, may be a little more expensive, but can be done easily. Find yourself a totalled STI from an auction or junkyard and strip it. It will have everything you need on the car, as long as the driveline wasnt damaged in the wreck. You can also sell stuff off of it that you don't want/can't use including the suspension, bodywork and interior.

If you go the second route, I'd suggest going all out as well, everthing from the motor to the wheels should be put on your car. Also the front and rear control arms as they give you more caster and a wider stance.

Also, check out NASIOC and RS25.com. There's a plethora of info on the process of swapping. Check RS25.com for info on what sort of engines you can use.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by KAX
when you say gc8 sti, do you mean an actual GC8 STi from Japan? Or a GC8 with an USDM Sti drivetrain?

The former is probably a little bit cheaper in the short run, as (suprisingly) the older EJ20's are relatively cheap. Its just more of a hassle because you need to buy the engine, ECU, crossmember, transmission, axles, driveshaft, rear diff, etc. Also, if something breaks, it may not be replacable with a USDM part so you have to get it from Japan. So it may end up more expensive in the long-run.

The latter, may be a little more expensive, but can be done easily. Find yourself a totalled STI from an auction or junkyard and strip it. It will have everything you need on the car, as long as the driveline wasnt damaged in the wreck. You can also sell stuff off of it that you don't want/can't use including the suspension, bodywork and interior.

If you go the second route, I'd suggest going all out as well, everthing from the motor to the wheels should be put on your car. Also the front and rear control arms as they give you more caster and a wider stance.

Also, check out NASIOC and RS25.com. There's a plethora of info on the process of swapping. Check RS25.com for info on what sort of engines you can use.
Thank you for all the info. i am still lookin into everything brfore i just jump into it. i want to know what i am starting and how extensive it will be in the long wrong. it would be a us version of the jdm gc8 sti. sorry i am new to subaru.