The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

My new 72 Comet Build!!!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 AM
Flowmaster nut swinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheep-1
Ohhhh gawd.......just crush it now

MV#72427
(727)535-6905 - Shaun

Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM
I gota Cheby

as usual this will be a nice ride for sure.

Only 1/4 mile track I know is Gandy Bridge
Old 02-16-2013, 06:00 PM

I recieved my rear spoiler and some speakers for the kick panels this week.....

The only thing I did to the car today is change the carb, I found a NOS Hollet economaster on eBay that only cost $56 to my door..... It has had a surge from about 30 to 50mph and can be a little fussy on cold starts(and it don't get that cold here)..... Well I put the holley on it and it made a world of difference in the way it runs, it is flawless now..... The only reason I was worried about it is this motor is going to be in it for a whil longer, plus when I get ready to sell the 6 it will help greatly if it runs really good.....

I also took a side job, got another fox body 8.8 to straighten, weld tubes, add a brace, set up gears and install a Strange 33 spline spool & axle kit..... Someone trying to get ready for the NMRA race the second week of March at BMP.....

Here's the old carb(left) and new carb(right).....

Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM

SLEEPER! That's better than a barn find. I'll be watching this build.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:41 PM

I got the side job ready to assemble today, unfortunately while welding my mig has taken a SH!T(went to work and grabbed a mig to finish the side job up)..... It has been acting up for a while, i quess 15 years of hard use has finally done it in..... At this point I think I am going to just get a new one rather then try to get this one repaired.....

Not a whole lot new to report on the Comet yet..... I did get some manual steering stuff, front Wilwood brake kit and a True-trac unit for the rear end..... Next weekend I should finally be able to make some progress on it after I assemble the rear end(side job).....

That's it for now.....
Old 03-02-2013, 06:54 PM

Got the side job done this morning and finally got started on the Comet..... Got the seats out and removed the carpet..... The carpet was damp on the passenger side front floor, it rained quite a bit this week plus I washed it just before starting on it..... I think it's the windshield seal, it's kind of dried and has a couple cracks in it..... I will find out tomorrow when I remove the windows..... I think it moy have had a heater core pop at one time, probably after it sat all that time in the museum and then started getting driven again..... Anyways there is some surface rust on the pass side floor but no pitting at all, it also lifted some of the factory seam sealer..... It's an easy clean up and will get treated with some POR15.....

Here's what the floors look like.....

Old 03-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Today I got the windshield removed...... What a damn mess that made, gooey shit everywhere..... Took a while to clean up that mess, specially around the window opening..... I also removed the quater windows and rear window..... Next week I will get the car blocked up and leveled so I can get to work on putting the frame connectors in.....

Here's with the windows removed.....

Old 03-04-2013, 02:39 AM

Rust on the passenger floor, possibly the cowl hat on the passenger side has rusted. It's a low spot where water pool and wasn't painted from the factory so it was exposed metal. This is common.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by LATAMUD
Rust on the passenger floor, possibly the cowl hat on the passenger side has rusted. It's a low spot where water pool and wasn't painted from the factory so it was exposed metal. This is common.
I know all about the cowls rusting out on all these early Fords, I was just not expecting it out of a 16,000 mile car that spent the biggest part of it's life in a museum.....
Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Saturday I spent the better part of the day at the NMRA race in Bradenton..... This morning I went to the shop and did a little redneck engineering to the fuel system so the car would still run with no fuel tank in it..... Then I removed the rear bumper, valence panel and gas tank..... Good news is the tank is in fantastic shape..... I put the parts up in the overhead out of the way for now.....

I started to get my new welder going and got a phone call, I had to go help finish taking the motor out that I was buying..... Went over and got it out of the car and back to my shop..... This was just too good of a deal to pass up, it's a 347 with a ported set of Victor Jr's on it..... Here's the deal, I bought it intake to oil pan(no water pump) it is a Ford racing Sportsman block(has 1/2" head studs put in it), Probe SRS flat top pistons, Eagle H beam rods, Eagle steel crank, Comp solid flat tappet cam, Internal balance, sfi balancer, sfi flywheel, Comp cams pro magnum rockers, harderned chromolly push rods, Professionally Ported Victor Jr's with 2.08/1.6 ferrea valves, Comp springs and retainers, Unported Victor Jr Intake and an MSD distributor..... The heads are really way to big for what I want but like I said earlier I couldn't pass it up for $2200..... I can always sell the stuff I don't want to use..... I need to get it apart and check everything out good, but not until I get the damn frame connectors in the car so it can go for the cage.....

Here's new redneck engineered front mounted fuel cell.....

Here's the back of the car after getting the tank out.....

The new welder, I need to get my welding cart modified so it fits properly and actually try the welder out.....

and here's a couple pic's of the motor after I took it out of the truck and put it on the stand.....

Quick Reply: My new 72 Comet Build!!!!!