BrakesPros.com CRX K20-Powered Road Race Build

Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 AM
BrakesPros.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last stop before our first weekend of racing was with Justin at Redline Design Custom Graphics in Tampa, FL. We have been working with Justin on a graphic design for our CRX for a few weeks, turns out it was pretty tough to come up with a good graphic scheme that worked well with the body lines of the CRX. Our CRX is also painted in a custom orange color that really stands out, especially in photos and we wanted to take advantage of that to make the car stand out at the track and at shows. After going through several revisions, we ended up going with something really simple and we are really happy with how it turned out. When we arrived at Redline Design, Justin was still cutting the vinyl, which was pretty cool to be able to see the cutter in action! Justin was kind enough to let us watch the entire process from the time he was cutting the vinyl to installing the vinyl on our car. The graphics really pop off the car which was one of our main concerns and we were able to keep our orange paint mostly uncovered to retain a clean appearance. Every decal on our car was custom made by Justin to keep our decals in harmony with each other and we cant be happier with the outcome, it was far better than we were expecting. Let us know what you think by commenting below!

Read more about our experience on our blog! Brakes Pros Blog

Waiting on the vinyl to finish cutting.

Each decal was layered by hand.

Its all coming together now.

Removing any remaining decals on the car and removing any residue.

Surface prepped for new decals to be applied.

Deciding on final placement.

Final mock up, ready to be applied.

Driver side large decal finished.

Starting on the Passenger side now.

Anywhere there was a seam on the car such as the door jam, door handle or gas tank door, Justin carefully cut the decal and used a heat gun to wrap the edges to prevent any lifting in the future.

Our sponsors logos look great on the carbon hood of our CRX, each logo was custom designed to match the rest of the decals on the car.

"LIKE" Us On Facebook To Follow Our K20 CRX Track Build! Facebook - BrakesPros
Need Brakes?
We carry brakes for racing and OEM applications, Give Us A Call or PM Us For A Special TR Discount! 1-888-257-7149
BrakesPros.com - See Our K20 Honda CRX Videos HERE
Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 AM
BrakesPros.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After running around for the past couple of weeks getting our K20 CRX ready to race, we were finally able to get the car out to an auto-x for its first shake down run. I was a bit nervous of how the car would handle since I had never driven a CRX before. From reading around and talked to other CRX owners, Ive heard the CRX can be quite the handful on track. On top of that, our CRX has the K20 swap so its a little heavier up from and more than double the horsepower of a CRX in stock form! We loaded up the trailer and headed down to Zephyrhills, FL for the PCA vs BMW Auto-X. As we arrived, the crew helped me unload the car and get it through tech lane to be inspected. While this was going on, I walked the course with Angela, another CRX owner and experienced auto-x driver. I have never driven an auto-x course before and was quite worried about find my way through the "sea of cones", as we walked the course Angela gave some good pointers, told me what the cones meant and how to pick a line through them. When we got back to the pit area, the car was tech'ed and ready to go. We were called in for a drivers meeting, got our assigned run groups and the racing began!

Read more about our experience on our blog! Brakes Pros Blog

Our first run, taking it easy, learning the line.
https://vimeo.com/33560404

Last Run, our fastest of the day. I even botched the U-turn. We had plenty left in the car..er..driver! After watching this video 100+ times, I just keep cringing thinking I could have rev'd out more here, gassed it there, brake later there..so much time I could have shaved! All in all, it was my first time driving the car, so I was happy with the times.
https://vimeo.com/33594987

For more of our videos, check out our Vimeo page HERE.

We really didnt know what to expect with so many unknown variables, we just wanted to get some seat time and find any bugs in the car. We were one of the few Hondas at the event, there were well over 50 cars that competed!

A little lost in the sea of Porsches and BMW's, but everyone was very kind and helpful, we will be racing with these clubs more in the future!

In "tech-lane" to make sure everything looked safe.

Everyone was curious about our CRX, little did they know what our 4 cylinder powerplant was capable of!

A beautiful Turbo staged in "tech-lane".

Angela and myself walking the course, taking some pointers for my first auto-x.

Staging for my first run, here we go!

Unleashing the beast!

Made it through the first set of slaloms, this was a fast course, alot more fun than I ever imagined an auto-x being!

And were back! Had slight oversteer into one very sandy corner, almost turned it around, but I was able to catch it and keep on going.

We looked at the time and to our surprise were were around 9th fastest on our first run. The car was running great!

A sweet BMW, this car was really cool to watch!

The club took a break for lunch, Brian had the grill going and made some amazing "frozen" burgers!

Before heading back out, we popped the hood to make sure everything was in check and no leaks, etc.

Had a little fluid leaking from our radiator cap, time for a new one, but this one held us over for the rest of the day. The runs were less than a minute each, so the car never really got hot.

Tyler, giving me some "pro-tips".

As the day progressed, I was starting to get comfortable in the car. With each run I was able to push it further and further. There was still a TON of potential left in the car, but we ran out of time in the day. Overall, we were all still very impressed with how the car performed and without a hickup!

If you notice, our bumper is sagging quite a bit here. Turns out those little orange things they call "cones" are pretty tough, dont hit them.

The sponsors that made it all happen!

These guys were dropping sky divers all day long, was pretty cool to watch the sky fill with parachutes!

At the end of the day, we ended up placing 9th out of roughly 50-60 cars. A majority of them being Porsche's.

"LIKE" Us On Facebook To Follow Our K20 CRX Track Build! Facebook - BrakesPros
Need Brakes?
We carry brakes for racing and OEM applications, Give Us A Call or PM Us For A Special TR Discount! 1-888-257-7149
BrakesPros.com - See Our K20 Honda CRX Videos HERE
Old 08-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This was quite a build.....two years in the making.
We never lose our interest in cars. I realize that this is an
old thread. Do you still have the car? What are you working on lately?-Bob

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/