Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

turbo info

Old 07-04-2003, 11:01 PM
gadget man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo info

I am putting together my turbo kit and need to know what type of turbo would give me the most power now and have room later.

I have an 88 crx with jdm b16a, I plan on using hondata with the setup. Will a t3-t4 work good? also what size wastegate? and cast manifold or tubular? what is a good but quiet bov or how can I make it low on noise.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 07-05-2003, 08:51 AM
gadget man

eventually I plan on getteing a bare block b16 and stand building an engine and tranny that can withstand 40 lbs of boost and put out 550 hp, and 1/4 mile will be whatever this set up will give me. I am not sure if running a turbo big enough to create this type of boost will have massive lag so I may run twin turbo or a compound forced induction setup
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 07-05-2003, 08:59 AM

a turbo good for over 550whp is not really something you want to daily drive on.

tial makes a good wastegate also
Old 07-05-2003, 10:58 AM

40lbs of boost, can't the stock engines handle that?
Old 07-05-2003, 12:55 PM
PSSHHH x2

40psi huh...wow...your talking about headgaskets and lifting the head now..

why not get something you can run 15-20psi on...and still get you the HP you want.

honestly my outlook on some sort of turbo setup on a honda would be nothing less then 1.8L with all forged internals...youll never run twin turbo on it. if your worried about lag, then go 2.0(b20/vtec possibly)

Tial 40mm WG should do the trick for ya, i dont think you will see boost creep. Talk to Vapor about manifolds. and for BOV...go with a 1G DSM bov, a nice quiet, recirculated BOV..but your still going to hear it.

now realisticly...keep your goals low...if this is to be a daily driver, i wouldnt look any higher then the 425whp range.
Brocks megaphone
Spencercycle 10" swingarm
MPS auto shifter
Hays convertible clutch

Yea, that about sums it up...

Old 07-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Elitist Supra Asshole :)

40 psi is a T88... youll never get that spooled on a 1.6, tahts for damn sure.

you need a T3/T04E. a 60-1 compressor wheel, dry center section, w/ a stage three turbine wheel and a .48 AR turbine housing. Drag makes some nice cast iron manifolds for T3 exhaust housings. use a Tial 40mm, cuz Tial is the shit.

as far as a quiet BOV. get a GFB Stealth FX... they are made for Aussie cars and advertised primarily for the WRX, but you can tune it to be loud or quiet.

w/ a Hondata, you can run a Map and dont need to recirculate, but you can if you want to quiet it down a little... but the Stealth FX isnt recirculating... a 1G is though, and is quiet when its recirculated.

400 HP on a honda is a race-only car, and wont last long. 300 HP will take you a LOOOONG way and will give you severe tractionn problems even in 4th gear at 70mph, especially in a CRX.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:22 PM
The G-14 Classified

heh, pipe dreams
Old 07-05-2003, 09:51 PM
Old School "Turbo" dude

Originally posted by turbo-max
heh, pipe dreams
this is what i was thinking.

Buy a TR email address Here
Old 07-05-2003, 10:00 PM
gadget man

all that being said and its all good info, and the end result is definately a long way down the road. for now though with stock internals and a little down the road running 15-20 lbs of boost would the t3/t4 be the best way to go, I've seen some for sale used and I want to say they listed a 60 trim but not sure. what trim should i look for? also everyone please keep in mind all my info is either self taught from magazines or from right here on tr so if my goals seem high they may be and I may lower them later. Basically I need a daily driver(until I get my B.S. then it'll be used about half the time) and I want to run 12-15 psi then when needed using a boost controller dial up to 20 or so in order to smoke the jackass going through midlife crisis and thought it would be smart to waste his money on a vette or some other equally domestic pile of shit.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001