Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

toyota turbo???

Old 02-17-2001, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alrighty.
i have no money.
i want a turbo.
suggestions?

ok. im tryin to find a bold on manifold and turbo for my 93 camry. mr2driver if you read this let me know where u got your stuff.

anyways what kinda stuff do i need to look at before going out and buying parts. i will be piecing it together slowly since the money isnt everywhere so it will be a long time before i get it all together. but what all do i need to have a complete turbo setup. im not very knowledgable about turboes i know about them but not everything.

first off i know ill probably need a new head gasket. ill be running stock internals and a very low boost to start. probably 6-7 psi. (a trd kit never released said my engine [5s-fe] can run 6-7 safely w/o internal upgrading.)

so im guessing if i run a low boost i wont have to upgrade the injectors yet. i dont plan no upping the boost unless i come across loads of money.

i will also have to upgrade the ignition wires and i actually have to get new spark plugs pretty soon. i heard you have to retard the timing? or what do u gotta do with that stuff. do i need a certain type of heat range plugs? or anything?

heres a list of parts ill need and i know this isnt all of it probably so feel free to let me know if i need anything else for this to work. i have decided this will be my major upgrade as engine swapping in toys is very $$$ and hard to do since its never plug and play like honda is.

anyways:
manifold
turbo ct-26 (not sure which one this is?)
oil lines to pan and from [where?]
intercooler
LOTS of piping and silicone connectors
blow off valve
some manual or electronic boost controller?
ECU tuning? (please say no to this)
boost guage
a/f guage
wastegate? ---unless turbo has one on it right?

ok now u can see how little i know about it let me know what stuff i can get by without for a short time since i will get everything. if i can get by without the boost controller or anything temporarily id like to know

thanx for any suggestions.

it will happen.............someday.

------------------
Daniel
93 Camry---cold air pipe cut springs
fart tip big white rims front cow catcher
CLICK...
Old 02-18-2001, 12:29 AM

Im not sure if you checked out the post about it..but go to a bookstore and get a book called maximum boost by corky bell...youll probably have to order it...i got mine from borders for 35 bucks...itll help truckloads...

------------------
Johnny Pointless aka Jeff
TampaRacing Post Whore™
Crewand TR.comNight Crew Member...
and you thought they only made cool shit like this for hondas....
Old 02-18-2001, 09:14 AM

thanx ill go look for it
Old 02-18-2001, 01:53 PM

Hey camrydan my moter is stock 2.4 I am running 8pds of boost. Elprototypes did my turbo simple to put on 8 hours at my house no intercooler. If you have a mass air on the car the computer should keep up with the add boost mine does and make sure you have a rich/lean meter they work good.

------------------
1st Turbocharged Tacoma in the bay area: with 4-5 drop on 17 inch Koing Caffeines Full tweed and Police kit strobes.
Old 02-18-2001, 03:20 PM

yeah i hear el prototypes does alot of work. theyre doing some 3s-gte swaps on some camrys out in cali there. theyre doing R&D also to make turbo kits for camrys. im sure they can get me the parts like mr2driver had but i need lots of money. so i gotta piece meal it.

also i talked to my dad today about doing it and hes usually not approving of such things (he thinks i should just go all motor with a header from bosal) and he actually said it would be cool since i have so much room i could put somthing nice in there...how ever my car has 104k on it and by the time i get all parts and money it will probably be in the 110-112k range. which is like another 6-8 months away. and im worried about blowing it up. i could easily get a new 5s-fe but why do that when i could save up for an actual mr2 motor that has internal parts available and get up to 300-500 hp (drooling hehehe)

im not sure now all i know is that im saving... i could probably just take a good 2 weeks and pull the motor out and rebuild it myself to ensure it lasts a while.

i gotta call up EL prototypes this week and see how much ill be needing. i can get the electronics and stuff myself but the hardware i need from them or somewhere.

i dont have an MAF my model years didnt come with it. but i think if i had an A/F and ran low boost with an in-good-shape fuel pump ill be a-ok.

thanx
daniel