Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

Nitrous ???'s

Old 02-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Meow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous ???'s

Ok I was thinking of running a dry zex kit on a 98 camaro z28. That kit cause, I can get a used one from a family member for cheap. What are going to be my limits? I think I wanna stick with a 75 or 100 shot. The car mods wise has hypertech to remove speed limiter, flowmaster cat back, lid, and smooth bellows.

And what mods do you think I should do to run as safe as possible. The car is under warantee and It was bought used with most of the mods already done. They said the car was also cammed and had an aftermarket maf. From what i can tell It's not cammed, unless its just a slight bit more aggressive then stock. And I mean maybe 1-2 hp extra, so slight. It is an automatic, I dont know if you can really have a peformance cam in there without noticing it.

The plan is to remove the bottle and guages everytime it needs serviced. to split loom all of the lines and run them with the power cables for the amplifiers. Get another lid and drill the hole in that one for the nitrous and swap lids each time.

Any other suggestions for nitrous kits, are welcome as long as its as easy to cover up for the warantee.

Thanks for any help I might get.
I'm pretty new to nitrous.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Has V.I.P in HELL!

i wouldn't run more then a 150 shot....do u got a deff stall converter in it if not get one and i would change the rear gears to.and get some msd stuff.....u will see some major changes in perfomance.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Banned

Cam? how does it idle? I have a mild cam and it's noticeable!
Old 02-06-2004, 03:44 PM
I have fuzzy eyebrows

If you dont notice anything in the idle...its unlikely its cammed. You could pull off a valvecover to check for aftermarket valve springs since that is pretty much a must. Maybe dyno it as well.

For nitrous:
If your using the hypertech...remove the hypertech tuning until you check you Af ratio with a wideband 02 on a dyno. If you are excessively rich..you can put the tuning back in as it will lean you out bit.
You will also want to be careful the first time you spray due to that aftermarket MAF. Ive seem many aftermarket MAFs not like dry shots and not respond well with the AF curve across the rpm band.

You should change your plugs to NGK TR6 (pn 4177). They are one range colder than stock and NOT platinum.

Stay to a 125 or less or a total of 450 rwhp to be on the safe side. Ive seen guys in 98s get very close to 500 rwhp on stock fuel systems and injectors but you will be near 100% duty cycle on your injectors.

You should use an MSD window switch to control when the juice come on (3000 rpm) and more importantly when it goes off (just before your shift point. Use the Hypertech in conjunction with the MSD window switch to get your shift points down. It will help save your tranny for some time.

As far as what kit to get...the ZEX will work just fine. So will the NOS kit # 5177. The Nos kit comes with a 15 lb bottle. I myself would prefer the Nos kit since the bottle it comes with is far better than anything else. It has a superhigh flow valve and a gauge built in.
Or...for about $250 you could build your own. The LS1 is as simple as it gets. Youd need a single powershot noid, bottle, -4 an braided line of about 18 feet. A small -3 line of about 18 inches. WOT switch. some wire and connectors, an NOS dry fan nozzle and a few other things. Lots of that can be bought used.
10 lb bottle--$100 used
purge kit for the noid--$50
-4 an line--$35

etc etc.

Or go to Sam at Coastal dyno...I believe ha has some good local manufactured kits that work very well for less. And he can install and tune.

if it's cheap & reliable, it ain't fast, if it's fast & cheap, it ain't reliable, if it's fast & reliable, it ain't cheap

Last edited by HybridSS; 02-06-2004 at 03:48 PM.