Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

Why are there so many turbos instead of superchargers?

Old 08-14-2003, 07:49 AM
Elitist Supra Asshole :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are too rich, it does cause high EGT's. its Afterburn, cuz the fuel/air charge is still burning as it exits the cylinder.

so sometimes, it can be hard to tell which is which... but if you are trying to tune solely by EGT's you are a fool and deserve to break something... especially if you ahve a DSM. DSM's, you have to tune by Ignition timing, then knock count, and then EGT's... but, EGT's are the same priority as WG O2 values... they have to be used together, cuz thats how you can tell if you are running high EGT due to excessive leanery or excessive richery...

if your car has knock-referenced ignition timing, you should be lookin at that. when the ECU sees all the parameters are acceptable, then itll advance timing. but, anyhow... thats mostly for cars w/ w/ ECU"s designed to run boost.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:47 AM
THE HAMMER

One big selling point is the fact that u can adjust the boost on a turbo easilly... Have a pump gas and race gas setting without turning a wrench....
Old 08-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Some Random Comment

Holy Shit!!! That Was Some Serious Discharge Of Brain Matter, I Think I Need To Go To Sleep Now And Make Up For All The Thinking I Just Did. Damn There Is Some Smart Fuckers In Tampa
Old 08-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Driver

Originally posted by flubyux2
Most of the Vortechs ive seen have sealed oil resivours and give you a special lube to use in it... i havent seen a centrifugal supercharger that makes you run external oil feed and drain lines. and a centrifugal blower will get hot, but not to the point of coking oil... the gear drive will build heat from friction, and the compressor will heat up the intake charge.
With Vortech's you have to run an oil line and tap in to the oil pan(worst part of vortech's is this extra little bit of work) all other centrifugal s/c's are normally self contained. Even with Vortechs using the same oil from the engine they are known to be the most reliable centrifugal superchargers on the market.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:14 PM
out of time

Also, a turbo setup can be upgraded at a later date (swap a small turbo for a bigger one). With a SC you can't really do this. Maybe buy an underdrive pulley but still not the gains you'd see by upgrading the turbo.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:24 PM

EGT's will spike with detonation..aka.. knock retard.. as far as afterburn from being too rich..nahhh..that will drop temps..lean it out they go up..watch that O2 sensor as well..it will tell you if your close.

HTH..been using an egt for 2 years on a very regular basis..some cars like 1400 other like 1700..depends..one thing for sure the turbine wheel doesnt like anything past 1750..
True-Street trim
348, 88 t4 .96, pump gas
www.alkycontrol.com
Old 08-15-2003, 05:27 AM

EGT readings really depend on placement of the probe... so while the rule of thumb, 1600*/900* is generally accepted... it will vary from car to car of course. like, 7mGTE's are not supposed to get above 1500*, or about 850C, but, on a DSM, you could get up to 1600* or 900C... so yea it will vary. also the efficiency of the combustion chamber will also affect how much heat comes out the exhaust too.

Maybe i was thinkin of paxtons that have the oil resivoir.

anyhow, afterburn will cause too high of an EGT to be read, ive seen it happen before. its happend to fellow DSM'ers. they mistook the readings to mean too lean, and they added fuel and only made it hotter... so a few of us said, try leaning it out and everyone freaked... but lo behold, his EGT's cooled off.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:55 AM

knock retard is something of a paradox.. its like a metric crecent wrench... Knock is an uncontrolled propagation of a flame front and/or multiple flame fronts propagating from a source OTHER than the spark kernal... Retard is when the total timing advance is pulled BECAUSE the ECU senses knock.

when your timing gets pulled, that means that your ignition point is delayed. that means that the combustion event occurs later in the power stroke, meaning that the intake charge is still burning as it exits the exhaust valve during the exhaust stroke... so then there is more of a flame kernel entering the exhaust manifold which means that there is pure fire licking that EGT probe, which means that it has not coold down yet, which NOW means that it will yeild a hotter EGT than if the combustion event occured under normal circumstances and cronological order. when you have real fire in the exhaust, or more than normal, youll have higher EGT's, same if you are overly rich and the intake charge is still burning the excess fuel as it begins to enter the exhaust manifold during the exhaust stroke.

just cuz your EGT didnt go up when you detonated/knocked doesnt mean that everyone elses wont... cuz they will, ive seen it happen, and i know it happens... EGT's is not a way to tune, its like a narrowband AF meter... it only gives you an idea of whats happening. and by the time the EGT meter reacts, bad shit has already happend and URFUCT.

the ONLY REAL way to tune is via ignition timing advance and Knock sums... if you dnot have a way to tune by it, you are only tuning with half the info. you can still knock/detonate even if you have a 12:1 AF ratio, or even 11:1. its still possible. but, if you arent knocking, then the ECU says its ok to advance timing... and when you see the timing advance, that means you arent knocking and you can push the envelope a little further. if your timing is 'mysteriously' being retarded that means you are getting knock, somewhere/somehow. If this happens, we know that adding fuel will cool the fire and allow for a more controlled combustion event and hopefully put detonation/knock off to a higher level. when it comes to tuning, i thank God i have a 1G DSM and not some haX0Rd turbo kit or non-readable ECU-equipped vehicle... oh wait, the TCCS in the MK3 supera is un-readable. DAMMIT!
Old 08-15-2003, 06:28 AM

i thank God i have a 1G DSM
... where does it say "Own"?