Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

Flywheel & Boost

Old 07-30-2003, 08:33 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel & Boost

Pros and Cons?

I wouldnt be getting one now, but eventually I'd like to know whether it is worth it or not (or lightening the stock flywheel).

I have heard that some of them are too light and will cause the motor to drop out of boost or powerband during hard straight line acceleration. However, I do see many cars running it and is there a certain power level that would best benefit from getting one or keeping a heavier one.

A major 240 company called Enjuku makes a lightweight one piece aluminum driveshaft for us, I will most definately be getting that soon, as I hear it will allow the quicker revs but wont have the apparent drawbacks of the flywheel.

Any thoughts on this subject?

My setup will eventually be ~350rwhp on stock 2.4L motor which means gobs of torque. The car is an occasional 400m track car, but mostly street car for fun nights on the town. I do not plan on shifting the powerband beyond the stock limits at this time, only the addition of earlier model stock camshafts will provide some breathing relief between 5500-6300. ECU change later on would bump rev limiter to 7000rpm, which would be the limit for me. I would most likely start out with clutch, aforementioned driveshaft upgrade, and an LSD upgrade, as far as drivetrain goes. Would a lightened flywheel be worth it? (The one in question runs $330)
Old 07-31-2003, 04:38 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

all that "falls out of boost becasue of the flywheel" shit is BS. people are just morons and like to spread wild rumors...
Old 07-31-2003, 04:40 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Originally posted by Vapor
if gas mileage is very important, don't get one.

I've heard you tell other people this, and never quite grasped the idea, can you elaborate?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:25 AM
TR Shop Mod

Would the same apply to a front wheel drive car, i.e. B18 Turbo? Any difference since the car is "pulling" the weight rather than "pushing" as with a rear wheel drive car? Just a thought..

Jay
Old 07-31-2003, 10:01 AM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

thanks for the replies.

i forgot to mention the 'falling out of boost' part was what i had heard and never had it confirmed. plus i figured it shouldnt have made much difference if it were true.

i will probably get one down the line, the fidanza 11lb one is pretty much the main one for the ka motor (stock ~21lbs) but not as light as some of those 8 and 7lb jun flywheels for other cars so i figure it will still be a daily driveable clutch. coupled with a spec stage 3 (or 4 later) and the driveshaft/lsd/nismo slave and ss line combo, i figure it will be a fun setup. i, like, john, am also an extremest...well only in plans so far. i have yet to reach the amounts of money to prove that yet hehe.

thanx again