Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

Facebook upgrades photo hosting

Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 AM
I am mom!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facebook upgrades photo hosting

Some people think my watermark is annoying now, just wait. And yes, I will still upload low res photos but with a download link becoming available, that won't stop anyone.

http://mashable.com/2010/09/30/faceb...otos-upgrades/

The kid is selling it all
Check it out
Old 10-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Official Photo Ninja

dislike.

Official Photographer of Festivals of Speed St. Pete, Orlando, & Miami.

Canon 7D..Stepped up my Game
Old 10-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mama Got Boost??
Some people think my watermark is annoying now, just wait. And yes, I will still upload low res photos but with a download link becoming available, that won't stop anyone.

http://mashable.com/2010/09/30/faceb...otos-upgrades/
The people who need a download link to steal your photos aren't the ones stealing your photos.

The people who a watermark deters from stealing your photos aren't the ones stealing your photos.

As a person who has been on both sides of this debate, trust me, there is nothing you can do that will stop someone with enough determination. I know from experience.

Web | Blog | Flickr
Old 10-02-2010, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Chimichunga
The people who need a download link to steal your photos aren't the ones stealing your photos.

The people who a watermark deters from stealing your photos aren't the ones stealing your photos.

As a person who has been on both sides of this debate, trust me, there is nothing you can do that will stop someone with enough determination. I know from experience.
Exactly!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:48 AM
I am mom!

I'm not saying that it would stop someone, trust me, I've been on both sides too BUT uploading low res with a watermark will usually make someone go on to the the picture.

Check it out
Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 AM
ITPete.com

I'm confused, as long as my security settings are set correctly, aren't the people I have invited as friends the only ones that can see my pictures on facebook? I would assume if I was confident enough to invite them to be my friend, I am confident enough they wouldn't be stealing my work. Nobody else would be able to see my pictures and therefor wouldn't be able to steal what they can't see.

I know a number of other people have created "Photography" profiles on Facebook, but then you know what you are getting into. There has to be other ways to have an online portfolio that limits people's ability to steal your work.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 AM
I am mom!

You're right Pete but believe it or not, some still don't know or realize it. I posted a different article on my fan page yesterday and someone made the comment that they should start watermarking their pictures.

Anything I upload to Facebook is 600 on the longest with my "annoying" watermark, as some have put it. This is the article that I found yesterday: Facebook Users Can Now Upload High-Res Photos, Bulk Tag Friends

Quoted from the article:
The social networking site's new photo features will allow users to upload photos in a 2048-pixel resolution, instead of the traditional 720-pixel resolution. "It's enough pixels to print out a 5x7 print at 300 DPI," says Facebook Photos product manager Sam Odio.
So if some doesn't realize this and keep uploading high res, or even something remotely close, they can potentially be printed off.

Check it out
Old 10-04-2010, 11:03 AM
ITPete.com

The other thing that has started scaring me more about facebook, is that according to the terms of service, any pictures you upload to their servers they become owners of. So uploading to your servers waives my right to owning my piece of work? Bull $h!t

I guess I need to poll my friends. I started recently linking my web site with my pictures instead of uploading them to facebook. Curious to see if my "friends" care or not. I guess either way, they are getting loaded to the internet and can become "stolen". I guess we either keep the quality really low, watermark them, or become smart enough to create the next digital image format that can protect our rights.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Drinker of the Dew

There's an app you can use that will add a Flickr tab to your facebook, that'll bypass that little TOS problem

"Thirty-six satisfactory exposures on a roll means a
photographer is not trying anything new." - Freeman Patterson

Old 10-04-2010, 05:18 PM
I am mom!

Originally Posted by jake2k
There's an app you can use that will add a Flickr tab to your facebook, that'll bypass that little TOS problem
While that app is great, 75% of my business is word of mouth through Facebook. Believe it or not, the less people have to click to see a picture, the better.

I might have to try it out after the first of the year. I've read the TOS about them owning the pictures but they can suck my left *ahem* if they think they'll get it.

I talk big shit, I know

Check it out