Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

apples to apples

Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 AM
zetec > vtec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default apples to apples

well, apples to cheese and wine. Sorry I like my cheeky intros, haha.

I just got a job at a new upscale resturant called The Living Room, it's in downtown Duniden right of the corner of main and 580. But since they're new I'm doing pictures for them as well. My manager wanted to see some of my work, so enjoy.

Also critism is welcomed, it's my first try at shooting food and i thought it was going to be alot easier at first haha.

setup: Nikon D50, quataray 70-300mm, quataray 18-50mm polorized filter.

This last one i wanted that shadow there to bring more attention to the wine.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I am mom!

Okay well I'll be the first to take a stab at it

#1 - It's out of focus and crooked
#2 - I like the composition in this one. The DOF is great in the front of the picture and your chocolate is sharp. Very nice.
#3 & #4 are both out of focus. I'm missing your focal point on both of them
#5 is too dark and the shadow is distracting and it's out of focus.

Shooting food is tough. On all of these you need a fill flash. Go on Flickr, view tags of food photography. Most of the photographers post their set up. Here's a good one to look at Food Photography - a set on Flickr He does a lot with food but those are his most recent.

Are you using a tripod? If not, use one. Use your timer...again. This will eliminate any camera shake. You may think your hands are steady, but they aren't

IMO if I was your boss, I wouldn't use these ate all. *shrugs* Just trying to help you.

The kid is selling it all
Check it out
Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 AM
zetec > vtec

thanks for the input, this isnt the actuall work for the place, it's practice and a reference to the quality. but i'll keep working on it thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Macro Enthusiast

It seems like your on the right track with these. My 2 cents is the composition in the first pic would be better if say there was a basket or something off to the left or something you were leaving room for but since its just chairs (so it looks) back there I'd say think about putting something else related in that area or maybe rethink the fruit positioning.

Also with the last pic of the wine I like the idea behind it but the shadow takes away from the image and the tablecloth seems a bit blown out too, but with better lighting i think you could get the shot you were going for. You may also want to clean up the glass a bit it seems a bit smudgy. Keep an eye out for whats in the background of your photos as well, you don't want anything too distracting or "busy" even if it is out of your depth of field.

The only other thing i noticed was the fruits seem too wet. I know what you were going for since in many ads you see slightly wet fruits and veggies but i think you went a bit too moist such as in pic 1 the table looks soaked and in 4 the glass is very fogged and moist as well. You want to draw focus to the foods with the slight wetness so when its on other things it pulls away. Maybe more of a slight mist perhaps from a mist bottle onto the fruits then place them where you want them would work.

This is all strictly my opinion and the things i see others may disagree but i figured i would mention it since you were looking for critique. It's good for your first time shooting food, it can be quite difficult at times. Keep an eye on your focus and make sure its focused properly. Look around on deviant art and just online in general for similar pics to maybe notice techniques or get ideas for your own photos. Be sure to post the final pics that your submitting to your manager, I'm eager to see them. Good luck to you!

You can view my work on Flickr.

You can "Like" my Facebook photography page!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Drinker of the Dew

It's a good start but you need to work on the focus, like MGB said use a tripod when doing any closeup work especially with such a shallow DOF. Also were you using flashes for the lighting or just house lights?

"Thirty-six satisfactory exposures on a roll means a
photographer is not trying anything new." - Freeman Patterson

Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
zetec > vtec

1 & 2 were unnatural light but reflectors.
the rest were natural light.

I have a few more wine and cheese ones that i'll edit and put up
Old 07-30-2009, 01:00 PM
zetec > vtec

despite not the best pictures, i got assigned for it (just found out).
I'll take all your advice in to serious consideration.
I hope to find a fill light by then and have better resources at my disposal, i.e. better food prep, better lighting, a spray bottle lol, and a better backdrop.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Drinker of the Dew

Cheap backdrop = $4 black bedsheet at Walmart

"Thirty-six satisfactory exposures on a roll means a
photographer is not trying anything new." - Freeman Patterson

Old 07-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Macro Enthusiast

its true you can do wonders with a somewhat small piece of fabric

You can view my work on Flickr.

You can "Like" my Facebook photography page!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:13 PM
I am mom!

If these are indoors, which I'm assuming they are, you don't need your filter on. You're gong to want to capture as much natural light as possible.

Hell even if you boost up your shutter speed and drop down your ISO, you'll atleast get a brighter picture. Since your subjects aren't moving, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Even your on-camera flash should give you a little bit of fill light. Hell, work with it at home and test it out. Couldn't tell you how many test shots I've done on my dining room table.

And Jake is right. $5 bedsheet from Wally World and you're good to go. Also you can pick up 24x36 foam boards this way your "floor" and back drop are the same color and you don't get any creases. Just watch the reflections with the foam board. I noticed that when I was shooting with it, so most of the time the sheet is a better choice.

The kid is selling it all
Check it out