Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

Chris photographs a concert: Orlando - Rise Against / Rancid / Billy Talent

Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 PM
TR Canon Representative!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Chris photographs a concert: Orlando - Rise Against / Rancid / Billy Talent

After a couple months hiatus I’m finally back on the working train and keeping busy again. No complaints here!

My latest work: (Concert) Rise Against / Billy Talent / Rancid

I heard Rise Against was coming to my town which is one of my favorite rock bands. I couldn’t help but get involved and get my hands dirty. How often does your favorite band come to play in your backyard? Rarely.

Off to work I went getting my hands on media credentials and getting credentials is what I did!

I arrived at the venue 3 hours early only to be greeted by a well formed line already waiting for the doors to open at 6:30 and I thought I was a serious fan. The kicker was I couldn’t get into the venue until I had my press pass in hand which wasn’t dropped off until 6:45. Needless to say, I was spazzing out considering the doors were already open but once the credential had arrived I was immediately allowed by security to cut the 2,100+ fans in line and headed straight to the front of the stage – SWEET!

Normal media restrictions applied: I was only allowed to photograph the first 2-3 songs of each band depending on how gracious they felt. To say you have to be good at working quick and on your toes is a MASSIVE understatement. I firmly believe if you can shoot concerts, you can photograph damn near anything. If you’ve ever done anything wedding related, you can immediately relate. You have one chance to get it right, don’t mess it up.

If you use flash, you’ll be immediately kicked out. You know you’re in for a good time when you can’t use flash in a very dark venue and the only light you get is from the various multi-colored strobes flashing sporadically. I actually prefer using the natural lighting at concerts, as difficult and inconsistent as it is. In my opinion, it fits the vibe of the concert and puts you into the true mood and emotions of the show that flash would normally eliminate.

In the end, I still love it though. Plus, photo credentials are the best seats in the house! I was leaning on the stage to take these photos, how much better than that does it get?

Onto the photos:

The full gallery of images from the concert can be located here:

Chris Grosser Photography

Old 07-22-2009, 12:54 PM
TR Canon Representative!

There are another 20+ pictures on my website. Definitely check them out! It’s always appreciated.

Thanks for viewing, enjoy!

- Chris
Old 07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Macro Enthusiast

These photos are outstanding, you did an amazing job. I really wish i could have made this show. Seriously, awesome job!

You can view my work on Flickr.

You can "Like" my Facebook photography page!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:41 PM

Nice shots. I was actually bored yesterday and remembered your website and thought to myself "I wonder what ever happened to that Chris guy from TR". And whadda ya know lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Drinker of the Dew

Sick pics man! What gear where you using?

"Thirty-six satisfactory exposures on a roll means a
photographer is not trying anything new." - Freeman Patterson

Old 07-22-2009, 02:47 PM
TR Canon Representative!

Originally Posted by Cola
These photos are outstanding, you did an amazing job. I really wish i could have made this show. Seriously, awesome job!
I appreciate it.

It was definitely a doozy to photograph but I loved it. I can't ask for more, photography and one of my favorite bands all in on combo!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:49 PM
TR Canon Representative!

Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
Nice shots. I was actually bored yesterday and remembered your website and thought to myself "I wonder what ever happened to that Chris guy from TR". And whadda ya know lol.
I'm still alive!

Just been extremely busy with summer classes, just finished them up last week. They took up the majority of my time for the past 10 weeks.

Now back to playing and photography. I should have more stuff to post in the upcoming month(s) when I get back into my regular routine and all of the college sports officially start up again.

I will still try to catch random concerts and car events though as they come around. I get the itch to photograph, I have to keep busy somehow!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 PM
TR Canon Representative!

Originally Posted by jake2k
Sick pics man! What gear where you using?
I appreciate it!

I was alternating between my Mark III + 24-70mm 2.8 and my 50D 70-200mm 2.8 IS.

The other photographers looked at me strange coming in with multiple lenses and camera bodies but I'm used to it shooting sports. Maybe they just thought it was massive overkill and a major PITA (it is) but in the end, I don't regret it one bit. I've done enough events to appreciate having multiple bodies and not attempting to switch lenses every 2 seconds.

Ducking from random beer cans, water bottles, and crowd surfers was new for me though!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:11 PM
slash

ohhh, very niice, i like!
TRick Squad Member #3
VicPrez of IttyBittyTittyCommittee