Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

Good photography books

Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Just for decoration

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good photography books

So I've just stumbled across some free time and I figure why not be productive and learn something. Since I have always enjoyed taking pictures (whether they are good or not) I figured I would learn to PROPERLY use my camera and take better pictures. Can anyone point me in the right direction to any photography books or guides for Nikon cameras? I have a D40 if that helps any.

R.I.P. Brian Nichols 02/07/1989-11/24/2008
Old 02-16-2009, 11:14 AM

Usually they supply you with a little something something... it's called the manual.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
DD.
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hoosier Daddy being an ass like always.

Jon, go on amazon. They have quite a few books for Nikons and Canons. I find that the manual can only take you so far. It can get you familiar with basics and how to work all the "fancies." But to actually become "better" at photography, the manual can't get you there.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by DD.
Hoosier Daddy being an ass like always.

Jon, go on amazon. They have quite a few books for Nikons and Canons. I find that the manual can only take you so far. It can get you familiar with basics and how to work all the "fancies." But to actually become "better" at photography, the manual can't get you there.
as always, right?

He was asking how to use the camera properly, best place I can think of is the manual. I read the manual to mine and I know what every button and what every function does. To get good photographs your not going to learn it from a stupid book, you have to be creative and experiment. I haven't used a book for more than learning the settings and functions of the camera... and that book came with my camera. When I actually take photographs I just do it, I don't go "Oh, I need to get this shot because the book said it's good". I think of what would look good and be unique. I take the shot, review it on my LCD and decide whether it's a keeper or not. If it is, it stays. If it isn't, it gets deleted.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Post Deleting Expert.

Daredevil's right. A lot of people swear by the Magic Lantern series, but I've never used any of them. I bought Thom Hogan's (bythom.com) ebook for the D50 and it's much more in depth and easier to read than the manual.

I really enjoyed Bryan Petersen's Understanding Exposure when I first got into photography. It explains various different ideas and how to achieve certain qualities in your photos.

Even though DareDevil was right about HD being an ass, HD is on to something. Books and manuals will only take you so far, composition and timing don't come from books for the most part. Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy books.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by .:Chris:.
Even though DareDevil was right about HD being an ass, HD is on to something. Books and manuals will only take you so far, composition and timing don't come from books for the most part. Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy books.
I was just being honest, why else would they give you the manual if you weren't supposed to read it.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm a Photographer!

"Stumbled into some free time" is the new term for not having a job? That sounds good to me!

But anyways, look into Scott Kelby. Cool guy and knows his stuff. Writes his books in a fun, comprehensive way.

Originally Posted by Petitt
Please take a look at our Photography section with your friend, and take some notes.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Just for decoration

Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
Usually they supply you with a little something something... it's called the manual.
I knew this was coming.

I moved and have no clue where it is, I will probably check ebay or something to try to pick up another one.

Originally Posted by Michael.
"Stumbled into some free time" is the new term for not having a job? That sounds good to me!
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, or trying to hit a soft spot with that comment (or if you didn't mean anything at all) but yes, I am another casualty of the current economy. My old employers were nice enough to give me severance and pay me for the weeks of vacation I had stowed away, so I will be taking a month or so off to enjoy while I can. That is where the free time comes in. Im not looking to do it as a profession, but I want to be able to take better, more memorable pictures with the equiptment I have.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your recommendations, I will look into all of these. I appreciate the help!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm a Photographer!

Originally Posted by JonLGT
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, or trying to hit a soft spot with that comment (or if you didn't mean anything at all) but yes, I am another casualty of the current economy.
Not in a bad way at all man. I was/am still in the same spot, with no yob. Plus its hard finding a PT job around here to be able to work around my school schedule, and I still dont trust myself enough to work and have school because I procrastinate enough as it is. I just figured that was a good way of putting it, that you dont have a job right now...

Originally Posted by Petitt
Please take a look at our Photography section with your friend, and take some notes.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Just for decoration

Yeah things are tough, working full time and going to school does a number on you. All the stress from both is why I am taking this time off.