Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

First attempt at food photography, another assignment

Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First attempt at food photography, another assignment

So i have been getting alot more assignments other than nightlife with my Magazine, as you can tell by the recent threads.

So I had to shoot an Editorial for this new Sushi Restaurant, Spicy Tuna. I met the writer there. We both were to taste the food, she was to write an article, i shoot the food on location.

Only one shot will be used, i shot about 5 dishes and then actual Venue (the place is kinda a hole in teh wall, so i doubt they will use the venue shots)

Got done with one of the photos right now, so i figured i would post it. I think it needs a little more pop, so i will prob add some special pop to it when i get home tonight, but we will see what you bastards say. Only requirements for the image by the editor was it had to be a Landscape orientation image (its probably gonna share a page with another restaurant editorial)

This is called a Monkey Roll, it has banana in it.

I tried reading the Lou Manna book over the weekend to try and get the jist of food photography, i dont think its mind blowing or even good, but i am always my worst critique. I think it lacks depth and is kinda flat, i tried working with teh circular composition that Lou Manna suggests, but i couldnt find it in the dishes, so i tried goign with the geometric shapes that i normally do. Ok let me have it...
My Website: www.powersimagery.com
My Job: Vegas Magazine | Retna LTD | Tao/Lavo/Marquee Las Vegas
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 PM
working on it

very cool

^+1 and rep for u

-=1997 Mazda 626 traded
-=1993 Nissan 240sx hatch traded
-=1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe worst car ever Sold it
-=1987 Mazda Rx-7 non-turbo current
-=1994 Lexus SC-400 current

Need a tattoo? Discounts for mentioning TR
Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Post Deleting Expert.

I like it. I agree that it's a bit flat, but I think the composition is fine.

Not surewhat you had to work with, but usually sushi restaurants are dark - maybe you could've shot it on the sushi bar, under a direct down-facing light at 2.8. It would give you more contrast and make the whole thing more interesting because you would get more of an interesting background. Anyway, just a thought.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 AM
Fun-Sized

Originally Posted by .:Chris:.
I like it. I agree that it's a bit flat, but I think the composition is fine.

Not surewhat you had to work with, but usually sushi restaurants are dark - maybe you could've shot it on the sushi bar, under a direct down-facing light at 2.8. It would give you more contrast and make the whole thing more interesting because you would get more of an interesting background. Anyway, just a thought.
It looks great, but your right, it is a bit flat. I think the objects in the background take away from the dish even though they are blurred. It would make the shot appear cleaner, imo. I don't think you should do dark scenery since the light background makes the dish appear fresh. The white background looks nice contrasting the dark table top.

95 / RSP / 6spd / GT42 / AEM EMS / HKS 272s
www.theboostlab.com
Old 12-02-2008, 06:04 AM
Post Deleting Expert.

I can agree with that, the objects could be removed for less distraction. In that case, I think the composition would need to be reworked.

I don't think I explained myself very well in my previous post, let me see if I can find an example of what I meant. In the mean time, something like this works (even if it is a tad boring):
Old 12-02-2008, 06:10 AM
Post Deleting Expert.

Okay, here's something along the lines of what I was thinking. I think the DOF is too shallow in this one, but you get the idea:

This particular photo is from hafid's flickr. It's worth checking out, his style is something you don't see every day: shoot wide and wide open.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Fun-Sized

Originally Posted by .:Chris:.
I like this one MUCH better than the example in your previous post. There are no distractions, lots of color in the dish which attracts the eye, and a great angle. The shot in your previous post's DOF is too shallow, the shishkabob on the left is basically blurred out, and there are too many objects that are distracting from the dish.

95 / RSP / 6spd / GT42 / AEM EMS / HKS 272s
www.theboostlab.com
Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 PM

here are some others

im gonna practice alot more on food stuff, anybody have any good reading material?
My Website: www.powersimagery.com
My Job: Vegas Magazine | Retna LTD | Tao/Lavo/Marquee Las Vegas
Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
is better than you™

1 2 and 4 in the last set are a ton better. i'll pull books in the am that talk about this type shot..... i have to many books, 99% of them are just someone elses idea of cool

Old 12-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Post Deleting Expert.

That last set of four is good. It makes me hungry, and that's gotta say something - right?