Paint, Body, and Detailing Discussions on how to keep your ride clean, shiny, and straight

Gooey Mess! There has to be a better way!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gooey Mess! There has to be a better way!

Hey whats up? I'm stripping a fox Mustang down for paint and removed the side moldings. I'm wishing I had considered what happens next because right now, unless there's some magic trick y'all can pass along, I still have about another 20 feet of this stubborn gooey mess to work through....

The moldings were attached with double sided tape and getting this goo off is turning out to be a nightmare. When I took them off, I slowly worked a knife through the length of em so now effectively there's half of this foam tape on the car, and the other half on the molding.

I've tried peeling the residue away like a sticker by rubbing with my thumb, tried acetone, alcohol, lacquer thinner, heat and an 80 grit DA sander - none of which work as well as I hoped. The best thing so far has been the lacquer thinner but thats slow going too - about 2 hours for just the drivers door - the pass door, the remains of the 4 smaller moldings and the back sides of the moldings themselves are still to come so I thought I would ask...

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!

Is there some sort of technique or special chemical designed to cut through this sticky stuff? The lacquer thinner works sorta but leaves me with a pile of paper towels, countless gummed up razor blades and sticky glue residue balls all over my hands - and I'm sure absorbing the thinner into my skin for 2 hours can't be too good either...

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated in advance!

goo

goo on finger - so sticky!

Goo on fire because I'm pissed!!!

So much goo to go!!! Save me!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

This is what i use, works great, would have that done in 5 minutes lol, i deal with your pain every fockign day...

Google Image Result for http://www.toolsurge.com/ProdImages/AP-1232.jpg

Lethal Fab
Old 05-28-2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks man, what is that, like a rubber or something? Can I get those in a roloc form? At somewhere local hopefully?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

its a big giant rubber eraser, and no will not work on a roloc, oyu can prolly rig it some how in a die grinder, but it has threads that screw into the device.

Lethal Fab
Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 AM

Powered through it!...next time I swear though, I'm just taping those fockers off!!!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned

Red face Good writing

Good writing. Keep up the good work.A good beginning is a half doneI love this site, just do it! Power levelingl up, Runing a runescape money store ,Mini sell ,Making more money. Good luck, and enjoy it!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:12 PM

eraser tool real easy
Old 06-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Made Of Scars

Hope your mouldings don't shrink, you didn't pull the metal tape from the moulding eh?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Made Of Scars

Originally Posted by yesrightconnet
Good writing. Keep up the good work.A good beginning is a half doneI love this site, just do it! Power levelingl up, Runing a runescape money store ,Mini sell ,Making more money. Good luck, and enjoy it!
wtf is this sht?