Paint, Body, and Detailing Discussions on how to keep your ride clean, shiny, and straight

Wet sanding an econo paint job?

Old 03-23-2008, 02:19 PM
CHILLING SPREE!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDriver96
I got an econo paint job with integrated clear coat. Do you think wet sanding will make an "ok" paint job look alittle better?
it should, go easy on it.. maybe just a good polish with a rotary

SnowMan Tuned
Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 PM

Along with all the other things we do here, I have the used car business. Alot of the cars in the $2000 to $3000 have the Econo-type paint job that is a year or two old and my detailer can usually shine it up pretty good. We start with a power wash, claying, slow speed buffing with a wool pad and a compound, re-pressure wash it, hit it with an orbital and Mequiars wax (these are pro chemicals-not the stuff at the local WalMart). If you don't have all the euipment, we can usualy get it done for you for around $100 or so. Let me know...

MCOR Automotive LLC
mcorautomotivellc@verizon.net
www.mcorautomotive.com
1635 Dale Mabry Hwy Ste 3
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

"TR Official 12V Shop"- Automotive Audio/Video/Security (JL Audio, Alpine, Hertz/Audiosn, ARC Audio), Window/Tail Lamp Tint, Custom Wheels, Clear Shield, automotive upholstery and leather conversions, "All the Above!"
Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Wide Open and Sideways!

Power wash? Like a pressure washer? If that's the case you fail. That is one of the worst things you can do to a paint job.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:20 PM

Question

Originally Posted by importguy1208
Power wash? Like a pressure washer? If that's the case you fail. That is one of the worst things you can do to a paint job.
Funny, Mequiars own dealer website suggests a light power wash (1700 psi through a 45 degree nozzle) after machine compounding (without soap) to remove all deposits and set up the paint to accept the machine wax job.

Also, how many professional detail shops have you walked into (or even mobile) that are using a garden hose and nozzle? Maybe a high school Saturday fundraiser. Pros all use power washers (only maybe again 1700 psi and 45 degree nozzle). This is the only way to completely and efficiently remove all debris from door and body seams, mouldings, wheel wells, etc. and keep the car wet while washing.

Fail huh? I guess me and 90 percent or so of the shops out there fail then. To each there own however I guess...

MCOR Automotive LLC
www.mcorautomotive.com
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

"TR Official 12V Shop"- Automotive Audio/Video/Security (JL Audio, Alpine, Hertz/Audiosn, ARC Audio), Window/Tail Lamp Tint, Custom Wheels, Clear Shield, automotive upholstery and leather conversions, "All the Above!"
Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 PM
SUREAL CUSTOMZ

every shop ive worked at the detailers uses pressure washers for sure
Old 03-26-2008, 03:04 PM
refinish artist

I'll agree with the pressure washing after compounding,it makes clean up easier and helps not to pick up compound on the next step.

Fuck Meguiers though,I've made there so called "pros" look bad.

I cannot agree with you on going from compounding to wax though,being that you run a shop,I hope you left some steps out.

RIP Chester P.Anderson Jr.9/23/05 I love you dad,and miss you very much.

RIP Kevin"Slo SI" 9/13/06,we will miss you homie,time heals wounds but you will never be forgotten
Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 351coupe
I'll agree with the pressure washing after compounding,it makes clean up easier and helps not to pick up compound on the next step.

F*** Meguiers though,I've made there so called "pros" look bad.

I cannot agree with you on going from compounding to wax though,being that you run a shop,I hope you left some steps out.
Well, of course there is polishing and what not before waxing (and few other steps depending on the amount of compounding performed etc.). I wasn't getting into a complete tutorial - I am sure I can dig one up if he really wants to see it here.

As far as Meguiars goes, yeah I agree there is quite a bit of BS in their product line and tutorials, however it is impossible to cover every single paint finish in only a couple of videos. So they are okay for the beginner/hobbyist to learn from I feel. As the rest of us who do this for a living can attest to, nothing can equate to good old daily experience...

MCOR Automotive LLC
www.mcorautomotive.com
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

Old 03-29-2008, 07:38 PM

i had a eclipse with a econo paint job but it looked like they spray painted it i wet sanded it the main thing is to always be watching what your doing and dont go to deep but when i was done the car looked 2000 times better just my 2 cents
Old 04-08-2008, 05:55 PM

Never buff a maaco or econo paint job. Very thin.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:40 PM
1sicbu

Originally Posted by ZDriver96
I got an econo paint job with integrated clear coat. Do you think wet sanding will make an "ok" paint job look alittle better?
good luck wit that homie