Paint, Body, and Detailing Discussions on how to keep your ride clean, shiny, and straight

where to find my paint/tips????

Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM
boats and hoes!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to find my paint/tips????

i would really like to paint this car metallic midnight blue but i can only find the paint for sale on ebay and not from any "real" online paint stores, is there any sites that i could order it from or should i just have a local paint shop order it for me, im gonna try paintin it my self the body is in perfect shape any tips for doin that?????........what do yall think about this color paint on my car the paint thats on it now has to go

Old 01-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

if its your first time painting, either order a LOT of extra, or shoot with cheap no name paint. if you buy good paint (should run around $500 a gallon starting), your gonna be a lot more pissed off when you mess up, compared to if its a $100 gallon off ebay as a practice. do you even have a gun and strong enough compressor?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:30 PM
boats and hoes!!

o yeah painting isnt new to me my dad painted houses and sh*t so im familliar with cup guns and all (even though i understand painting a car is wayyyy different) my cuz lives next store to me and we have a shop with a big air compressor and we got a couple gravity fed cup guns, i just used the one to paint all the interior pieces for my car with black color coat paint (25psi) the guy i bought it from didnt have any of the interior in it just bare metal inside, but anywayz it came out lookin like new and im a do it yourself kinda guy so i figured id give it a shot
Old 01-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

^ like you stated painting houses isn't close to painting cars. Thats apples and oranges. When I was in school learning auto body and painting, the painters that came in claimed they could paint a car, 1 tried shooting a hood and it looked like complete shit. And 25 PSI won't be close to enough pressure to spray, you'll need over 100+ PSI constantly depending on the gun your using. but like I said i'd buy enough paint at 1 time, because even if its the same exact color, it could turn out different if bought at different times.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:04 AM
boats and hoes!!

yeah i understand the psi thats just what the plastic/vinyl color coat paint i bought said to use and it came out real good, we got a regulator right in line before our main hose i think the compressor is a 80 gallon, and also like you said i think i might just sand and paint the car the black duplicolor that advanced auto has and maybe later buy the metallic midnight blue i wanna paint it and give it a shot, now do you know the steps i need to know in painting, from shows ive seen in the past i planned on doin a little bondo work where my gas cap used to be (they didnt build it up enough) then sanding, priming, checking for evenness after priming, then painting color, spraying couple coats of clear, then wetsanding? did i miss any sanding inbetween the steps?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:16 AM

before primering you want to sand down the whole car, you want NO shiny spots where you are going to spray cuz nothing will stick, the material will jus peel off very easily. when you scuffed down the whole car u can primer it, sand down the ALL the primer with 180grit or higher, then spray another coat of primer and sand it down with 320. the way u sand the primer can either make or break your paintjob becuase you could leave alot of bodywork lines showing in the paint(especialy in dark colors)
anyways, after your done primering and sanding it, you can paint(after youve cleand the car very very well ofcourse). base coat is the easy part. jus spray one even coat at a time, not too wet not too dry. and after every full coat let it dry for atleast 10 minutes depending what conditions you are painting in. 3 coats and you should be set. now, clear coat is the hard and nerve racking part. it sprays on the panels wayy differentent then the base coat. watch how it is setting on the panels. its pretty hard to explain how to properly spray clear on a car. except you wanna spray slower then u did the base but if u go tooo slow youll obviosly have alot of runs. But after each coat of primer, samething, let it dry for a bit, then spray another coat, you should be good with about 2 or 3 coats.

i would recomend just finding someone who has atleast some experierience in painting cars and let them do it, and learn from them.

or spray on a piece of random metal (prepped for painting like your car) and practice on that.