Paint, Body, and Detailing Discussions on how to keep your ride clean, shiny, and straight

Key Job on my truck door

Old 03-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I <3 your mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Job on my truck door

It must have happened at the mall a few days ago, my brand new 4 door taco. Someone prob a kid keyed my 2 doors going down the side of my truck. I was wondering what normally has to be done to fix that? do they have to strip the whole doors or just paint that spot and blend it in? Like i said its a brand new truck it had 200 miles on it. I def want to get it fixed just looking around and finding out about how much it would cost
Old 03-20-2007, 10:17 AM

damn bro that sucks. hit up driven concepts they should be able to let you know.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I <3 your mom

yea they hit 4 cars in the same area. i was a little bit mad at the time lol. but what can you do. its only money.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:09 PM
is better than you™

you can probably have it buffed out so you don't have to repaint, i hate having paint work done when there is an alternative personally
Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 AM
I <3 your mom

what do you mean buffed out? just from looking at it the key mark is down to the bare metal.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:56 PM

where do the key markes start and end? If they start in the very front of the door and end on the very back of the door, then blending will be need to the fender and bed or if you have a good space on the cab corner. If not then just some blending to the doors will be neened. But they will probley father out the key markers with some 320 on a d/a and then prime, and block the primer with there finanly sanding paper (400-600 grit) for piant.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

i want to guess around 5-600 bucks, repair time for the scratches and also taking the doors apart and removing anything in the way of painting/blending. Maybe more, just go several body shops and get an estimate.

Lethal Fab
Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 AM
I <3 your mom

yea they go right across the 2 doors, the drivers front door the key marks are really deep. the back door isnt so bad. but its only one key line going from the front door right back to the other door. 600 dollars are you fucking kidding me if thats the case its staying just like it is. i was thinking closer to 200 to 300 tops.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

Nopt not kidding, taking the doors all apart, and anything in the way of paint, any decals, moldings, then repair time for the scratches, sand prime, block, then paint time, then cost of paint materials, it all adds up. _ mike

Lethal Fab
Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM

yeah Mike is not kidding...I would just get a couple estimates and go from there...

Sucks, seems to be a wide spread gimmick right now. We have had a run of these cars in the shop with key marks. Just did an Audi that every panel was keyed. Even the headlight squirter covers....crazy. Cost about 5k to get repaired.

Josh
"Diamonds are forever!"