Took the car on a long drive

Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the car on a long drive

So we took the S14 on a long drive during Christmas.
Christmas morning we left for Tallahassee to visit my parents for a few days then headed to Kansas City for our martial arts team camp. Car drove there and back with zero issues. Was a little worried when going through a area of Arkansas where it had snowed. Every where was covered in snow but the roads were pretty much plowed. Was a little worried about the snow but all went well. It was so cold at night the temp gauge would barely get above the cold line while going 70 down the interstate.
Only problem I had, of you want to call it a problem was the car would only get 21-22 mpg. Seems low to me for a car with much taller gears than my Evo.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM
JDM cavaliers

Any pictures from the trip?

Also so may want to check if the car has a thermostat. Could explain not coming up to temp+gas mileage.

...and then I wondered why I was on Stanceworks forums...
Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

I wish I had took some pictures of the car in the snow but when we were going through the snowy area it was at night and I didn't have a good camera with me.
I will check on the tstat. It does have electric fans that are always on.

I did get pulled over at 1:00am in Arkansas for having a altered exhaust and windows to dark. Had to pull off the road onto a snowy/Icey surface. Was so glad I was able to get back onto the road. Cop felt the need in the freezing cold to explain to me Arkansas laws regarding mufflers and window tint like I really care that you can't have a aftermarket muffler there.

Here's one at the dojo when it started to lightly snow for a little while.

Last edited by Tom N; 01-02-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

Originally Posted by KendallH
Any pictures from the trip?

Also so may want to check if the car has a thermostat. Could explain not coming up to temp+gas mileage.

Good call. Took thermostat housing off today to find there is no thermostat in the housing. Off to Advanced auto for a 170 degree thermostat and some fresh BKR7es plugs.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 AM
JDM cavaliers

NO NO NO NO NO. Do NOT get a thermostat from advance auto. Go to the nissan dealership and get one. The advance auto ones are JUNK.

...and then I wondered why I was on Stanceworks forums...
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

Originally Posted by KendallH
NO NO NO NO NO. Do NOT get a thermostat from advance auto. Go to the nissan dealership and get one. The advance auto ones are JUNK.

I have used the Stant super premium thermostats in all my past cars with out a issue. What exactly is the problem they cause in the sr20's?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 AM
.....taste the rainbow

Some people....well, it's like Ebay shtuff, hit or miss. Some people have had bad luck w/ Advanced/Auto Zone thermostats. Some not. Most people prefer the Nissan thermostat because of the less,(if non at all) bad stories about them sticking. If you swear by Stant's thermostats because you haven't had a faulty one thus far, run w/ it then.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

Tested the new thermostat in hot water to make sure it opens and closes as it should. All was good there so I put it in. Filled the radiator with 50/50 and blead the system. Turned the car off and grabbed a bottle of seafoam and vacuum line to clean the intake along with a fresh set of plugs to put in. Went and tried to fire the car back up and it won't start, just cranks. Hmm that's weird. I can hear the fuel pump come on so I decide to start with checking for spark.
Well this doesn't look good.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
S one 4

Looks like it's been awhile since those were changed... Might be part of the reason you recieved such low mpgs.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

They were put in a little over a month ago when I put the walbro in.
I need to do a boost leak test. I think I have a leak.

Quick Reply: Took the car on a long drive