Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Any suspension gurus around?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suspension gurus around?

I'm at the point where my car (1994 Maxima GXE) is beyond the limits of existing aftermarket parts. My biggest problem with the suspension is it is actually LIFTED on uncut Eibach springs because of 700lbs+ of weight reduction. I cut the eibach springs, 1 coil was fine the spring still seated properly on both the upper and lower spring seat and I cut a 2nd coil to get "moar low" and it's not looking too good. To make matters worse, KYB Excel-Gs are the best shock still being produced for my chassis (Koni & Tokico have been discontinued). I have been unsatisfied by the damping on my KYBs for YEARS (my springs and struts are 6 years old now) so I'd like to replace them as well. I have converted to 1995-1999 Maxima strut mounts in the front because it allows for an extra ~1" of strut rod travel, and in theory if they fail the strut rod isn't going to ram through the hood (but from my experience, 1995+ mounts last MAYBE 2 years on bumpy roads - originals were still not destroyed with 14 years of wear) like it would on the original mounts. I discovered something I didn't find mentioned by anyone else that did this conversion, that is that the bearings are puny needle bearings compared to the larger 1989-1994 ball bearings and are more prone to be improperly seated during installation. So I am considering converting back to 1989-1994 style mounts or finding a better alternative.

I have heard that the rear suspension design is nearly identical to the Stanza with some people claiming that Stanza Ground Control sleeves should "bolt right up" in the rear (but they haven't tested it themselves)
I know for a fact that 1989-2003 strut mounts will bolt up to the towers, and in theory newer struts should "bolt right up" so maybe front coilovers for a 4th gen (A32/1995+) will fit, I have heard for a fact that the spindle mounting holes are further apart on the 5th gen (A33/2000+)

Don't lecture me on why I should buy a Honda, newer car, something with better aftermarket support, etc. This was my first car, and in 8 years it has only left me stranded a couple times, back when I was still sorting out it's issues from 124K of neglect. I've spent countless hours and quite a few dollars getting it the way I like it and I'm too heavily invested in it to move on now.

What I need from you is any help I can get finding components (coilover sleeves & GOOD struts/shocks or full coilovers) that will work to keep my suspension solid and my frame rails 3" from the ground. I don't care if it involves parts off a B13, S13, S14, A32, A33, Z31, Z32 or even a different make. If I need to supply measurements that isn't a problem when I have time, I went to school for machining and have my own dial calipers.

Sorry if this post doesn't make a lot of sense being a wall of text and all I'll clarify anything if you just bare with me.

Last edited by SixCylinders; 02-23-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:09 PM

The strut housings in the front are 2" diameter, though it looks like I'll have to trim the gland nut to fit a 2" ID coilover sleeve, shucks!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 AM
buildin' it

sounds like you're gonna be pretty much stuck trying to fabricate something to get the results you're looking for.

also sucks that this thread is a month old with no response.
maybe make the switch to tampacarscene.com and see if any of the much more active users over there can help you out.

I know we used to have a guy around here that was good at fabricating strut set ups. Z28ricer. not really seen him around much for a long while. I know he did some cool stuff with some bilsteins. He's who I would reach out to.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM
kahtsumoto

Don't cut your springs, it will change your spring rate. Go with a softer spring rate than what you have right now. You don't need a guru, just call any suspension company and tell them what you have going on and I am sure they wouldn't mind setting you up with the right spring rate. You should probably weigh your car. GL
Old 05-29-2014, 03:44 PM
JDM cavaliers

I fail to believe you took 700lbs out of a 1994 Maxima.

...and then I wondered why I was on Stanceworks forums...
Old 05-30-2014, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe in stock springs since they have the proper spring rate to support the
weight of my car. After careful measuring of the suspension, I alter the stock
springs to get the proper ride height. There may be nothing wrong with unscrewing
the gland nut, sliding on the coilover sleeves, and screwing the gland nut back on.
Some people have good luck with Ground Control as a sleeve brand.

Harder springs are not needed unless a car is coming down
from being airborn and you don't want it bottoming out or unless a car is on a banked
track with forces pushing the car downward.

I don't yet understand what softer springs do for a car, but I'm willing to listen.

For a more solid suspension, I would use poly graphite bushings. I don't recall
the company name at this moment.
I would use bigger diameter anti-sway bars than what came on the car stock,
.............but I like a car that will corner flatter than most.

The way I find things that will interchange is to go to LKQ and for $2 I get
all day admission and a parts interchange printed out. You might carry in an
old suspension part and see if it will fit onto the junkyard car
I sometimes will spend the day measuring, but everything I measure goes
into a tech folder for future reference.

I may not be a suspension guru, but you can read some of my suspension
articles by clicking the link to my shop forum in my sig.

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/