Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Rant: Wantanabe SR dealers

Old 12-18-2002, 09:56 PM
i wanna go fast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant: Wantanabe SR dealers

the SR20DET Buyers Guide by Garage Battle (tampa edition)

Please take this with a heavy grain of salt. These are the types of sellers ive come across through my journeys:

1. The Reputable Dealer based on Actually Selling Motors: This would be your Heavy Throttle, Neishlin Motors, Phase 2 Motortrend, Unstable Hyrbids. Some offer motorsets, some offer clips, some offer both. You will usually pay about $2500 to get anything from these guys. Also Heavy Throttle appears to want payment 4-6 weeks before you get a motor...but, they're reputable. Neishlin is an example of how everyone should do it.

2. The Reputable Dealer who HASNT sold any motors: This is your typical guy on a message board. He has been talking to people for a while, is well known and respected. Problem is, this person has never actually SOLD any motors to anyone....people base their trust on him off of his web personality. The fault lies in the nice person to people, who is probably unexperienced in ordering motors, especially SR's. Problems arise, deposits and possibly pre-payments are needed, and then they sit and pray that what they've been promised from their suppliers acutally is good. An example of this would be Dauntless on Fresh Alloy.

3. The 'I deal in motors but havent done SR's before' seller: unlike Hondas, SR's require hard to find parts...like uncut harnesses, ignitor chips, coil packs, ecu's, etc. So they find a cheap place who promises them everything, take peoples money assuming its standard routine...and low and behold the engine has a cut harness, etc.

4. The 'give me your money dont worry next week no 3 days no next month' seller: Makes promises, sells things they dont have, ends up not having enough money, screws everyone in pannick. ex. Lostfunds (Ian, Lost Projects, part of DRFT ADDICTS).

5. The 'ebay' dealer: probably a cut harness, probably missing other parts, probably no warranty. Avoid it...too easy to scam.

6. Your local shops: Zfever, XAT Racing, Secret Services, etc all get good swaps in, and it is now a pretty common practice for them and their suppliers. Not hard to find quality locally. Nothing better than paying cash for existing inventory!!! Also, doesnt hurt to have a professional save you the headache of install work!!

To everyone trying to sell SR motors....this is a small and shady market these days. Suppliers will promise you all kinds of things...chances are they have no idea what an ignitor chip is, etc. If a blacktop SR swap from a supplier is $1500....then it probably has a cut harness, no ECU, etc. If it was that cheap and simple dont you think everyone would buy from them? Also, with suppliers in Canada, Asia, etc...how can you get your money back?

PLEASE....only sell what you have in stock. Take pictures, post pictures, sell motors. If you cant afford to stock motors, then dont sell SR motors.

Last edited by Garage Battle; 03-12-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:06 PM
Chairborne Ranger

VERY WELL PUT ROB! I am with you totally on this. I have seen stuff like what you are refering to happen to people and it is NOT cool.
Like myself and I know a few other people have told you. Steve Baker is a REALLY GOOD guy and he DOES know his shit. He does these swaps all the time. The motors that he gets come with a warranty somewhat.. if it starts up and smokes he sends it back but he hasn't had that problem yet that i know of and I am friends with the guy and have seen A LOT of his work. He does VERY good and CLEAN work.
He can be reached at:
Baker Motorsports:
813-748-1178

Tell him that Charles sent you.. Tell him Charles with the multi colored frontend that hangs with Ray.

Peace..

Originally Posted by PoppaSmurf
well like i said in another thread, if charles hasn't pissed you off, or gotten on your nerves, it means ya didn't know him that good
Old 12-19-2002, 10:53 AM
Banned

Dah, Is there a Steve over here in Houston? You guys seem to have some great resources in Tampa. The Houston import board is a bunch of rice, so that's why I chill over here. Where's my Steve?
Old 12-19-2002, 01:18 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

bob u can get on freshalloy and get in contact with some of the guys there are lots of guys with swaps who can help u find motors and stuff. CTC motorsports is in houston (or at least texas) and i *think* phase2 is in houston, so is project silvia i believe. i dont remember exactly.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:06 PM
lifelong learner

yeah but you know how freaking much those guys want for a goddamn motor?
Old 12-19-2002, 05:31 PM
Professional Drif-Tater..

So well put, it gave me chills......

Also, in Texas, find a place in San Antonio, or somewhere near Port Arthur. They sell for less because they aren't getting ass-raped on the land freight charges. I'm from Austin , originally, and went through the same thing back in '92 while trying to bring an engine over from Germany.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:24 AM
TR Registered Member #5

Default Re: Rant: Wantanabe SR dealers

Originally posted by "3rdshift Rob"

3. The 'I deal in motors but havent done SR's before' seller: unlike Hondas, SR's require hard to find parts...like uncut harnesses, ignitor chips, coil packs, ecu's, etc. So they find a cheap place who promises them everything, take peoples money assuming its standard routine...and low and behold the engine has a cut harness, etc. An example of this would be MarksAccord.

obviously rob you didnt listen to a word i say. they get cut AND uncut harnesses in, they had no uncut harnesses in stock so i was waiting on the next shipment. The manifest said 106 pieces, customs said 108, so they had to pull ALL the swaps out of the container and cross reference them, this obivously is a unfortunate and time consuming process, but they showed me it was customs realeased and they are getting the container on monday. I am sorry that you might be a little impatient or feel rushed to get it done, but i always tell people good things come to those who wait. If you want to go spend an additional $600 just bc your in a rush, then fine. As far as the cut harness kits i was going to offer those $400 less (yes, a cut harness swap for $1560 shipped) and they had 1 with a MAF, motor, tranny, ecu, which i just found out a few days ago, but being out of town i didnt get a chance to relay the message until now.

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 12-22-2002, 04:37 PM
lifelong learner

who cares mark.
get pictures
get proof
you have none of either.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:20 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Alright boys, lets keep this thread from going to shit. no more flames please.

Scott