Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Is it me???

Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 PM
FN Herstal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it me???

So i've noticed many 240's i've been in does this issue alot but unfortunately it's getting on my nerves with the constant fuel smell inside the car from the dashboard or somewhere? Usually it comes and go's but for my car it comes and stays as the smell gets stronger while driving which i have no idea why it's getting worse but i know it happens to 240's occasionally. It feels like if a fuel line has busted or a fuel leak but i'm tired of walking in and have the heavy fuel smell on my clothes! Any idea's anyone or is it just me?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Baby Rhino

only time i had a really bad fuel smell is when i had my KA, and that was cause my injector seals were torn. never had the issue with the SR, only thing that would bug me was the exhaust leak LOL
Old 02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
(O=O/-180sx-\O=O)

lol
I was just dealing with this yesterday.

I was getting exhaust fumes and a heavy smell of gas and I thought it was the tranny hole
it was driving me crazy

and then i noticed my back seat was down and I didn't have the privacy cover on, keep in mind I have a hatch.
put the seat up and the privacy cover.
and it made the difference. now I don't smell shit

gonna prob get a new rubber trim for fuel pump lid cover

Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 AM
JDM cavaliers

I was once told I smelled like a lawnmower after getting out of my car once. But then again I was running open downpipe

...and then I wondered why I was on Stanceworks forums...
Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 AM
FN Herstal

Thanks i need to fix the straps to make the privacy cover work with the hatch again which has been off since then. My mom was riding with me last night and she thought my car was running out of gas or about too blow up

Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 PM
i has double turbo

Man every 240 is like that. Gotta keep a spare chang of clothes in a air tight container lol. But most of the time it comes from the fuel pump cover thing, or the drain hole where the spare time is

my honda sounds like a lawnmower, because it is one.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:26 PM
no

Negative, both of my s14's did this and neither one of them are haggard old pieces of shit. I'm 95% positive it has something to do with the ethanol content in the gasoline these days. To support my theory both cars were turbo, one was SR and one was KA using different injectors. Both cars do it worse when the gasoline level is getting low or after driving the car hard. One car it was so bad you can faintly smell it with the windows up. The other car you can only smell it with the windows down. It definitely has something to do with fuel though as the smell is isolated near the intake manifold. I went through this process like 5X with swapping injectors, changing o-rings, and re-sealing the intake manifold. 2 different engines, 2 different fuel pumps, 3 different grades of gasoline, 24 different injectors, 44 different o-rings, 3 different fuel rails, 3 different chassis, same result.

Shell gasoline was notably worse than other brands. My wideband would also go nuts during the rich condition reading 9-10 in boost instead of 11-12.

dont blame shift and make this about me. this is time you could be applying online to be a bagger at publix.

Last edited by mewantkouki; 02-27-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM

^Well with the exception of this dude who says he's changed every seal....I would say, no that is not normal. You have a leak. lol. Putting the privacy cover up doesnt fix shit.

Can you smell gas while the car isnt moving? Sniff around to see if you can find where its worst...change any seals or o-rings in that area. Inspect all the fuel lines. Pull any gas tank access panel that has a gasket and change it.

My DSM used to reek of gas when I would start moving, I found out it was the sending unit gasket. I took it out and cleaned it up real good. There was some garbage stuck to where the gasket sits on the tank. Sanded that down, greased the gasket lightly, reinstalled, and bam no more fuel smell...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Formerly IThaJokaI

my car doesnt smell like gas at all inside.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:54 AM
Retired

I think I had my last 240 under control. Following the "internet common knowledge guide to building POS 240s" was one of the big problems.

- When you do a fuel pump, the gas tank seal is a mandatory replaceable item. No one ever does that. The FSM says that you have to. Buy a real pump kit like a Tomei and it'll be included.

- Cars without catalytic converters smell like fuel. No one ever runs a cat. Even NA cars with good tunes smell. I'm finding this complaint even on stock 350Z's with test pipes.

- Cars with cats and are out of tune smell like fuel. YMMV.

- The first thing people do is delete the charcoal canister, all the lines, and the solenoids. That's what keeps vapor pressure from building up in your tank. That high pressure turns everything into a leak. Ever release the gas cap and it sounds like a million psi escaping... yeah.

- Don't forget that there are more rubber lines under the car in the rear. People change the engine bay lines due to age, but the same 20 year old ones are still dragging along in the rear.

- Not having AC, isn't helping. There is a piece that I don't know the name of in the rear that vents air from inside the car. It's not supposed to let air in from the outside, but I'd be willing to bet that over time it doesn't seal well. Combine that with driving with the windows down creating a bit of vacuum, and you'd be drawing air directly from the gas tank area outside the car.

- Fuel smell is strong. It doesn't take much at all to notice. Even the smallest leak or being a bit too rich will do it.