Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

300zx fuel pump - need help

Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 AM
buildin' it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300zx fuel pump - need help

So I'm fairly certain that the fuel pump in my NA 300zx is dieing. I get that rather loud buzzing sound when ever my foot is on the throttle, even a little bit. Searching around, that seems to be a common symptom.
Attempted to search around and find the common replacement/upgrade pump that is used and I have found so much conflicting info, I need some help sorting it all out.
Some places say to just use a walboro as it flows more than enough.
Other places say that to use a walboro, you have to do some special wiring to get it to work because the stock fuel pump has a high and low function.
Some places say that the NA pump is just a single speed pump.
Others say it is a dual speed pump.
Some places say the Turbo model is a dual speed pump.
Others say it is a 3 speed pump with a low, medium, and high.
I even stumbled across once hole in the wall type site that was talking about how installing a turbo pump on your NA will increase gas mileage because the "low" is lower on the TT pump than the NA pump and when you stomp on it, you'll have more response/power, because the "high" is much higher on the TT pump than the NA pump.

The information out there is more jacked up than it is when it comes to anything honda related. It is like the entire 300zx world revolves around "I had a cousin who's friend did it like this.."

General consensus is that there is a fuel pump controller/module/doodad.
Does that directly vary the voltage to the pump which causes the "high and low" so that the pump itself is just a "normal" pump, or Is the pump actually something special with multiple speeds?
Could that be what is actually wrong with my car and not the pump itself?

Is there a better pump to use other than the stock NA pump? Car isn't anything too crazy, just daily driver with bolt ons. Looking at possibly a shot of nitrous to play around with, but nothing crazy there either.
The stock pumps are anywhere from $250 and $350 depending on where you find them. Makes the less than $100 walboro look really good, its just too damn noisy, which is a deal breaker for me.

Mucho appreciate-o the help-o

Last edited by Empire; 02-24-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Because race car…

Dude... 1990-1996 Nissan 300zx OEM Fuel Pump Controller this sucks if its bad $$!! But i guess you can run with out it. Install info for joo... 1995 300ZX Fuel Pump & Control Module
Old 02-25-2011, 05:20 AM
buildin' it

thanks. I found a install guide thing but the pics were busted.

I just can't find a way to test it if it bad or not. I guess it happens, but from what I've found, most of the people that have to install these are doing it when they do the TT swap...

I really don't want to drop 330 bucks just to see if it fixes the problem... Hell, I don't want to drop 250 on an OE pump.
But it does look like the pump itself is just a "normal" pump and the high and low parts come from the control module because you don't need the control module or anything special when you put a 300zx fuel pump in a 240. (not that I have found yet) although, I would image even on "low" the TT pump would flow more than enough for even a boosted 240 considering they can fuel a 300 up to 700 hp.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 AM
Because race car…

Yeah...you're in a tough spot man. If you were building it or something then it would be one thing, but i get the impression that this is your daily and you need it back asap and would rather not throw away your "playing" money. Perhaps a u-pull-it place might have one on the cheap...sourcing one out will be a challenge.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by rhart
Yeah...you're in a tough spot man. If you were building it or something then it would be one thing, but i get the impression that this is your daily and you need it back asap and would rather not throw away your "playing" money. Perhaps a u-pull-it place might have one on the cheap...sourcing one out will be a challenge.
yeah, it is a daily and the down time would need to be minimal. And yeah, the 2+2 TT build is where most of the playing money is going. But, we're planning on keeping this car for a while. The girl wants to build it up a little, and install a go fast button. It is technically her daily. I just get stuck with it when it isn't running right. lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 AM
buildin' it

The pump in the j30 should be the same as the NA pump. Don't see why it would be different. and that might be cheaper because it doesn't have the "Z" mark up.

I did find some neat little tid bits while I was searching around....

The difference between the controllers is that the TT one allows the pump to operate on low speed at lower RPMs and high speed at high RPMs. If you stick with your NA controller, the pump will always operate at high speed.
Implies that the NA fuel controller just does on and off. Other places have said that the NA does low and high. This also implies that the TT only does low and high, but several other sites say that the TT does low, med, and high....

[quote]A TT pump will go 65 psi @ WOT and a NA pump will never go past 43 psi. A NA pump won't due if your swaping NA to TT.

So, controllers aside, at 12volts, the TT pump moves far more fuel than the NA pump. So the TT pump would be the "upgrade" pump for the NA. From what I can tell, it would be like dropping in a walboro in a stock 240. Overkill amount of flow, and an increase in fuel pressure.

Right, a TT pump is a 3 stage pump. 6V, 8V & 12 volt.
This directly contradicts what the first quote implied about the TT pump, or fuel control mod. rather, only being 2 speeds. From an economy stand point, it seems to make decent sense. Low for idle and low RPMS. Med for high RPM, but no load/no boost and high for in boost.
If that is the case, then that supports the idea that the NA control would do the same, low for low RPMS, and high for higher RPMS/load.

Because the TT version is a 3 speed it's needs the ECU and Controller off a TT car to understand it.

However, unless you're planning to change you engine to a TT, there's no need to put a TT pump in your NA. The NA pump will handle all the power you can throw at it...
further supports the whole 3 speed thing.
But again, no info about the NA controller. If the NA is just on and off, then what does it need the controller for? This weekend, I'm gonna break out the multi meter and see if I can get some voltage readings and see if it changes with RPM.

The NA pump can still handle quiet a bit of power, but I'm wondering...
-Would a TT controller with a NA pump do anything for gas mileage? the thought being that the low might be lower than the NA low (if it has one) which would save gas at idle and low rpms when you're going slow anyway.

-Would a TT controller with a TT pump put out the same flow at "medium" as the NA pump would at max? and if so, would you be able to wire it so that the controller jumped to high when you wanted it to, say for a shot of nitrous?

-Would a NA controller with a TT pump (assuming the NA controller does have a low and a high) allow for the same gas mileage under normal use? And would it do anything for engine responsiveness?
What about the TT controller with the TT pump?
People swear a walboro pump with its increased low and pressure in a 240 makes the engine more responsive.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Because race car…

I dont know where you are located, but I know there were a few J30's @ LKQ off 118th in Clearwater/St Pete. That could be hit or miss though and for a daliy, might not be advisable. Seems ashame that there is such a huge $$ difference from a 240sx. They are kinda apples and oranges though.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 AM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by rhart
I dont know where you are located, but I know there were a few J30's @ LKQ off 118th in Clearwater/St Pete. That could be hit or miss though and for a daliy, might not be advisable. Seems ashame that there is such a huge $$ difference from a 240sx. They are kinda apples and oranges though.
it isn't so much the price difference. A new, OE 240sx fuel pump is still about 200 bucks. Thats why everyone just opts for a walboro. its an easy install and less than 100 bucks.

the part that is such a pain is that the information isn't readily available for the 300zx's as it is for the 240's. A quick google search and you can find just about all of the info you need to do pretty much anything with a 240. A google search for 300's and you find a lot of threads with no answers to them, and/or crappy, contradicting, incomplete, inaccurate information. Its like no one really knows so they just guess and since the "average" 300zx owners are people that used to own ricey civics and crap, their guesses are usually wrong. And the few people that do seem to know what they are talking about, don't have extensive knowledge. I've noticed most 300zx "builds" just use off the shelf parts and kits. It isn't like 240's where people used to try new stuff just to see what happens.
The part that I find funny as far as cost difference goes is that a brand new J30 fuel pump is right around 100 bucks and that engine is the same as the NA 300zx engine. But I can't find anywhere that verifies the LPH of the two pumps to know if they are actually the same. I really don't want to swap in a less powerful pump.

I have a buddy with a walboro in his 240 that I'm going to try to install on my Z to see just how loud it is going to be. I have a feeling it is going to be just too loud.
On my more "purpose built" car, that wouldn't be a problem. Just like MPG and all of that isn't a problem. but on a daily driver, that whine is a deal breaker.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:05 PM
buildin' it

ok, so I was right. the NA has a low and a high, and the TT has a low, medium and high and it works the way I thought it did. haven't been able to find what triggers it to go up to the higher voltages yet, but I'm sure something in the FSM should point that out. I'll look when I get home.

So, you can use pretty much any in-take pump as long as it flows enough.
There was an old Option magazine that said the stock NA pump flows at 195 lph. (don't know if that is 100% accurate or not, but it sounds about right) The walboro flows 255lp, but at like 35 ish PSI. The stock TT pump flows 255LP but at 50 psi. The NA pump has been known to handle up to 400 hp. The walboro has claims pushing 500. and the TT pump has claims at 700 hp.
So, for my simple, my fuel pump is dying, what do I do problem, a Walboro will do just fine. Because the FPCM runs the pump at a lower voltage, it doesn't whine as bad when you are going slow enough to hear it. Many Z32 owners have claimed that they can't hear the pump. I figure that's just because there is too much wind and road noise by the time the voltage gets kicked up to make it really whine.

I'm going to get my hands on one and see how it goes and post it up.

as for the answers to my other "hhmmmmm... I wonder.." questions. No answers yet. Still more research/info needed.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Because race car…

The big issue some of the 240 guys have is making the isolator fit to stop that vibration/humming sound. I found that heatshrinking the bracket helps as does tiewrapping the crap out of it. I also modified the original rubber to fit the bottom of the Walboro even though it came up a little short it seemed to help. But then again the 240sx pump isn't right next to your ear...that and keeping the tank as full as possible could help...but at these prices I might convert my car to run on milk...lol.