Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

rb swap help....please

Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rb swap help....please

looking to get a direct answer and a picture in my head of what i need to get and figure out for my rb project....

okay so i have an s13 and i need to start my rb project if things go good...these are things i no i need right now and things im going to get anyway

The rb20det swap..duh
a full fmic kit
water pump..my choice
timing belt...my choice
rb 20/25 downpipe
stage 2 spec clutch...my choice
front and rear main seals..my choice
----------------------------------------
the part that i no im confued is the drivetrain setup and fitment..i hear this and that about the ka driveshaft...the r32 crossmember...the stock ka cross member..different mount kits that allow different setups i mean im confused on what i need to do..also i dont know about engine fitment. i hear i have to bang out a spot on the firewall to fit the stater..i need someone to flat out tell me what i need to do about a driveshaft and a mount kit and if there is anything else i should do to this swap.if you have links to the stuff i need to buy that would be awesome
Z32 Maf
Injector Dynamics 725cc
10lb Tial Wastegate
Open Downpipe(blah)
Greddy Type S Bov
Enthalpy Rom Tuned
Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 AM

installing an rb engine into a 240sx requires alot of custom fabrication. the parts you listed that you know you were supposed to have doesnt even dent the surface. I would reccommend you put a little more thought into what your going to do BEFORE you purchase anything. for the cost you would be better off installing an rb25 or a 26 with the 25 tranny. otherwise i would just go sr. based on what your telling me you dont really seem like you know what you need to know to swap an rb. the wiring harness is a clusterfuck of work, you really need to know exactly what your doing. plus rb any series parts are difficult to find and expensive. my 2 cents would be to just go SR, the rb20 has 10 more horsepower stock and weighs 100 pounds more. the sr bottom end is stronger and can hold more power with less fabrication. the sr20 block is aluminum and the rb20 block is cast iron and its common knowledge that the rb20 bottom end isnt very sturdy. much more cost effective to go SR and nearly anyone will tell you the rb20 is not worth the work.

Last edited by nissanfanatik; 06-22-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by nissanfanatik
installing an rb engine into a 240sx requires alot of custom fabrication. the parts you listed that you know you were supposed to have doesnt even dent the surface. I would reccommend you put a little more thought into what your going to do BEFORE you purchase anything. for the cost you would be better off installing an rb25 or a 26 with the 25 tranny. otherwise i would just go sr. based on what your telling me you dont really seem like you know what you need to know to swap an rb. the wiring harness is a clusterfuck of work, you really need to know exactly what your doing. plus rb any series parts are difficult to find and expensive. my 2 cents would be to just go SR, the rb20 has 10 more horsepower stock and weighs 100 pounds more. the sr bottom end is stronger and can hold more power with less fabrication. the sr20 block is aluminum and the rb20 block is cast iron and its common knowledge that the rb20 bottom end isnt very sturdy. much more cost effective to go SR and nearly anyone will tell you the rb20 is not worth the work.
im sorry i dont want to sound like an ass but i think ur over exagerating this swap..i know alot about swaps for s13s but i never research this one..i hate the sr and want some thing more reliable..i do know what i am doing and no there reall is that much custom fabrication...im definately not doing the rb25...and what 17 year old kid can afford an rb26...my friend who owns a skyline is doing my wiring so i just need to know how to get the motor to sit right...

anyone else
Z32 Maf
Injector Dynamics 725cc
10lb Tial Wastegate
Open Downpipe(blah)
Greddy Type S Bov
Enthalpy Rom Tuned
Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 AM

rb20 motor set
conversion mounts
wiring conv
smic that comes with the motor set or a fmic kit
clutch is a good thing to replace
water pump (nissan) tbelt and tentioner n idler pulleys as well n thats it

my lag is your courtesy head start

ATTENTION.... installing a head gasket, head studs or pistons and rods in your otherwise STOCK engine dose not make it a "built" engine! stop listing you cars for sale saying they are built when its not!!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 AM
what would NPH do?

its really simple swap once you have mounts. there is no need to touch the fire wall i did have to put spacers on the hood so that it would clear the bov might have just been the mounts i used.

id recommend a fmic with same side inlet/outlet so you dont have 5 miles of intercooler piping

Originally Posted by box240mod
i hate the economy.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 PM
J.R.D

With the drive shaft, just get a custom one made. It's not very expensive. Just make sure you get the end off the rb20 trans, and the end off the S13 diff. and then measure how long you need it to be and take it to a driveshaft shop.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:07 AM
what would NPH do?

^ my stock s13 driveshaft fits fine.

i hate the economy.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 AM

the factory ka driveshaft will work in all ka, sr, ca, rb20 and rb25de trannys, the one that requires a z32 are the z32 and rb25det trannys

my lag is your courtesy head start

ATTENTION.... installing a head gasket, head studs or pistons and rods in your otherwise STOCK engine dose not make it a "built" engine! stop listing you cars for sale saying they are built when its not!!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by younghatchowner
i hate the sr and want some thing more reliable..i do know what i am doing
Why do you hate the SR?

More reliable than an SR? As long as you're running moderate boost levels, an SR will probably last longer than the S13 you put it into. I got one at 40K mi and put another 60K on it with zero issues...running 13-14psi and beating the crap out of it (1/4mi, autoX, mtn runs, daily abuse, etc). RB20s aren't nearly as reliable (more coil packs to go bad, iron block/aluminum head, "ceramic" turbo, etc). PLUS, you're throwing off the weight balance of the car by putting in such a long engine.

You're almost better off just freshening up the KA and boosting it. ALMOST.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:52 AM
what would NPH do?

the weight difference is more like a myth, its less than the difference between an empty tank of gas and a full tank.

i hate the economy.