Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

SR20DET exhaust manifold gasket local??

Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a recap. All SR20DE's have the same exhaust manifold flange pattern. All of those gaskets interchange. The VE's are slightly different.

That single layer copper gasket from Mr. Gasket sucks horribly and leaks more than if you used no gasket at all.

I've always used the silvered paper gasket with good results. They keep them in stock at the parts counter at Autoway Nissan. I want to say $12.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:58 AM
February - Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by Epstein
Just a recap. All SR20DE's have the same exhaust manifold flange pattern. All of those gaskets interchange. The VE's are slightly different.

That single layer copper gasket from Mr. Gasket sucks horribly and leaks more than if you used no gasket at all.

I've always used the silvered paper gasket with good results. They keep them in stock at the parts counter at Autoway Nissan. I want to say $12.
I have that Mr Gasket on my motor now, and had no problems with it at all.. is this an early horror story or the norm? haha

RIP Tim Aldrich
"..watch this cool documentary on bums racing shopping carts downhill, and making a living off of selling bottles. living the dream."

Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 AM
no

Graphite composite paper gaskets tend to seal a little easier than mls gaskets. I draw parallel to head gasket theory with trying to seal two metals with different thermal expansion properties to each other. I would venture to say that unless the surfaces are very smooth, straight and free from minor imperfections the paper gasket will almost always seal better because it conforms to the surface better because of its crush capacity. The only drawback I can see to this is the fact that longevity wise the paper gaskets aren't as hardy. I have heard of several ka-t guys having problems with the Mr. Gasket exhaust manifold gaskets in the past. If you're using the Mr. Gasket exhaust gasket without any problems, I doubt you'll see any arise in the future.

dont blame shift and make this about me. this is time you could be applying online to be a bagger at publix.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Please hold...

Scotch brite mating surfaces helps.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Doesnt see what you did

I had that copper gasket and mine was sealed up like tupperware.

Reused it several times over, still sealed like tupperware.

If you are having leaks, you're doing it wrong.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Elevate your Game

Originally Posted by Z28ricer

+1. I've never had a problem with copper gaskets..?

But also, for $12 or so for the metal layered one is a dam good deal too, might as well wait for it and save yourself any hassle or worries.

Last edited by ANTHONY S; 04-26-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Elevate your Game

Also, last time i checked Z DOCS on Fletcher stocked gaskets for SR's. But don't quote me on that lol
Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Z28ricer

Honestly, I might have been. It was in 2004 and I was screwing together my first SR. My experience was that after you ran the engine once, you would have to retorque the bolts due to thermal expansion squeezing the gasket flatter. Then after about 9 months and seemingly no issues, you'd be taking it apart and find the tell-tale "exhaust was leaking from here" black marks on the gasket face.

On the other hand, I ran graphite gaskets on everything from stock turbo/manis to my tubular manifold and never had an issue with sealing or deterioration.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:54 AM
The Cyber Brain

I've been using this gasket on both my SRed S13 and my daily driver Sentra SE. I don't have any problems. The key is you have to "seat" the gasket correctly or you will smash or mold the copper ribs the wrong way causing a leak. If you do it correctly, the gasket's ribs will mold to the inside of the manifold creating a perfect seal.

I do agree however, that because it's so easy to fuck up the install and ruin the gasket, it's probably better to just get the 2000-2001 OEM metal gasket.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 PM
SR20 FREAK

I have the MR copper Gasket on mine, Had it for over 3 years without a problem. I also have the Enjuku Racing Studs which probably helps too.

One thing you need to watch out for is that when using the MLG (like the S15) you cannot use after market manifolds due to the rivet that holds the layers together