Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Sr20det Compression Test Question???

Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sr20det Compression Test Question???

What is the ideal compression for a s13 Redtop with cp 8:5:1 cr pistons, and 264 cams... I read an article saying that cams are a factor... Also what is the cause if cylinders read 190 psi across the board??? Info would be much appreciated...
Old 01-12-2010, 02:57 PM
TR's main honda hater

im not sure but 190 across the board looks good for 8.5:1

Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Retired

haha 190? All of my 8.5-9.0 motors made 165.

The bigger the cams, the lower the compression, depending on the valve overlap of the cams. 190psi sounds like a 10.5-11.0 motor to me. Were those CP's flat-tops? Otherwise, the machine shop probably decked your block/head a crapton.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Blah Blah Blah

wow 190 . . isnt stock 150?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 PM

or your cam timing is off.

if you havent been in a small plane its worst, cause your eyes and brain say we are moving and your body says oh no we are not. eyes and brain go asshole we are moving, cant you see? body says fuck you we are not moving at all. so they fight and fight and eventualy your body says, you know what fuck you brain, see if you can stop this!! then you throw up.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by miataspeed
or your cam timing is off.
Cam timing will only lower compression.

Block/head decked, different pistons, bad compression gauge.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:38 PM

Ya, i think it is a bad compression gauge. The guy i am possible trading my car for his motor said he is going to try it again... and after doing some research the readings are a lot higher than they should be... one cylinder he says read 197 psi, and another 194... Thanks for all the input btw
Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
no

You sure it isn't a ka..? lmao

dont blame shift and make this about me. this is time you could be applying online to be a bagger at publix.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM

The cam timing can effect the compression. As you probably alread know most cams are ground with +4 advance based on TDC. This is to make the cam more drivable, Idleable.... If you retard the cam to true zero, it can increase the "Static" compression and take some drivability out of it. It's all based on the intake valve closing position and how much intake charge is allowed to excape. It's call the Volume/pressure index and requires a large slide ruler to calculate. Good Luck , and thank you. zack

if you havent been in a small plane its worst, cause your eyes and brain say we are moving and your body says oh no we are not. eyes and brain go asshole we are moving, cant you see? body says fuck you we are not moving at all. so they fight and fight and eventualy your body says, you know what fuck you brain, see if you can stop this!! then you throw up.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by miataspeed
The cam timing can effect the compression. As you probably alread know most cams are ground with +4 advance based on TDC. This is to make the cam more drivable, Idleable.... If you retard the cam to true zero, it can increase the "Static" compression and take some drivability out of it. It's all based on the intake valve closing position and how much intake charge is allowed to excape. It's call the Volume/pressure index and requires a large slide ruler to calculate. Good Luck , and thank you. zack

You're talking 1-2psi of compression... if that.

At cranking speeds, there's 100mS of time for the cylinder fill event. This is more than enough to ensure that cylinder pressure is equal to the manifold pressure.

The flowrate for that situation is just 5 Liters/sec. You're passing that through two holes that are an inch across... thats really not a whole lot of flow restriction.

comparatively, at 9,000RPM, you need a flowrate of 150 liters/sec. yikes.