Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

How to remove windsheild?

Old 11-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove windsheild?

I'm sure someone here has done it. Do I need some specific tools? I Would like to tackle this myself so any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Dissapointed with TR

with a brick

piano wire works too
Old 11-08-2009, 05:29 PM
no

Call a glass company... or do this:

Another update:
Removed the windows tonight, getting closer and closer to sending her to the blast booth!

For those of you who have never removed windows from a car before its pretty easy, you just need wire cutter, buy a windshield removal kit, (Habor Freight $20 FTW!), 2 window suction cups (Harbor Freight again, $8 for both) grab a friend and do work son!

Remove seals:

Cut a decently long length of the instrument wire thats included in the kit:

Push wire through the silicone seal between the window and the car with the pick type tool that is also included in the kit:

Thread both ends of wire through the handles included in the kit (see directions):

With you on the inside of the car and your buddy on the outside of the car or vice versa, pull on the handles back in forth in a sort of tug-o-war / lumber jack sawing motion, this will cut through the silicone seal freeing the glass from the car. Becareful not to go to fast as the wire heats up and the glass is tempered (take that advice, I cracked my perfectly good windshield doing this) you will know when its hot cause you will see smoke lol. Also try not to saw back and forth on one small area of the wire or it will wear down and snap, do long back and forth sawing motions.

Once you have gone around the perimeter of the glass attach the glass suction cups to the windshield on both sides and you and your buddy lift the glass of the car, make sure you hold one hand on the suction cup and the other on the bottom of the glass incase the suction cup is not on there as well as you thought. Store in a safe place till later use.

As the car sits, engine bay and suspension to be stripped completely next.

dont blame shift and make this about me. this is time you could be applying online to be a bagger at publix.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:41 PM
what would NPH do?

careful. its really easy to break a windshield taking it out. where i work if for any reason the windsheild has to come out we always have a spare to put in cuz its probably goin to break. but ya the method he said will work

Originally Posted by box240mod
i hate the economy.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:32 PM
buildin' it

^^ very awesome post. repped

that's the way to do it, just be very careful.

on a side note, why not have a shop claim it on your insurance? You'll get a new piece of glass that isn't anywhere near as soft as the stock glass...
Old 11-11-2009, 07:17 AM

sweet now show us how to put it back in properly. do you just put in new polyurethane cocking and put back the moldings?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 AM
February - Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by UnderStitching
with a brick

piano wire works too
This.

RIP Tim Aldrich
"..watch this cool documentary on bums racing shopping carts downhill, and making a living off of selling bottles. living the dream."

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 AM

Thanks for all the replies... This was my daily driver and someone wrecked me in the front. I was debating on selling it as a bare shell or leaving the glass.

I will have the shell and part out up soon, engine and all...
Old 11-12-2009, 06:15 AM
kings cannot fall.

ive done it exactly like in the pictures, but with piano wire and my hands, it sucks. but whatever.
ill never do it again.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Well at this point I just want to get this shell out of my driveway.. I think the glass has to be out or else the scrapyard won't accept it because of the weight of the glass. If it REALY sucks then i'm going to bust it out.. anybody want to buy a bare ass shell or a free windsheild? You remove glass...