Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

s13 sr20det egi buzzing car runs for a few secs after key has been turned off

Old 10-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s13 sr20det egi buzzing car runs for a few secs after key has been turned off

my 240sx with a red top sr20det, runs perfect just a high idle. when i turn the key off car runs for a sec or two then stumbles and dies. then a few seconds later i hear what i think is the egi relay buzzing for a sec or two. ive searched and found nothing. it was not doing this before i did the swap. any ideas?
Old 10-18-2009, 02:52 PM
...lost in thought.

something to do with your ignition wiring, or the ignition itself....i may be wrong.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:03 PM

well from what i have found out is that the egi handles the fuel delivery. but this was not happening with my ka
Old 10-18-2009, 03:31 PM
buildin' it

re check the wiring you did when you did the swap. chances are you'll find your problem there.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:09 PM

a very probable scenario ... wired in your fans without using a relay.. like to your fuel pump fuse or similar.. the fans generate electricity as they spin down

a very likely scennario if you did...... your car will catch fire...

martin
Old 10-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Formerly IThaJokaI

Originally Posted by 180SX
a very probable scenario ... wired in your fans without using a relay.. like to your fuel pump fuse or similar.. the fans generate electricity as they spin down

a very likely scennario if you did...... your car will catch fire...

martin
Happens all the time, dont know why people do that.

I have also found that if the alt ground isn't tight, the EGI relay wont shut off for a few seconds.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:20 PM

wheres a good 12 volt switch source close to the relay box under the hood?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 PM

There is not one if you want to run a fan off of it. That would cause a fire too.

What you can do is utilize the wiring for the stock condensor fan that is there in place from the factory.. It is heavy duty and has one of those 30 AMP green tall fuses in the fuse box.

Anyways.. Find the thick gray 2 wire connector (female) by the fuse box next to the battery. It should be hanging out around the dryer. Brown wire = 12V, Black = Ground.

Find your "Condensor Fan" Relay in that relay box. Depin the relay rail so you have access to it from the bottom side. You will have 2 thick and 2 thin wires going to it. Forget about the 2 thick wires. Test the 2 thin wires for which one is 12V with key on... once you found it, forget about it. This leaves you with 1 wire... Cut it as it is going away from the relay. Extend the now cut wire coming from the relay to the brown and gray plug next to the battery (they connect the body to the engine harness) T the extended wire into the black /pink wire on the brown plug.

Now you have a factory relayed / fused circuit that will not burn out like so many others... using all OEM parts - saves you money. It will only come on when your motor is running and the computer is running the fuel pump... So you can leave your key on ignition and not drain your battery.

Martin
Old 10-19-2009, 05:38 AM

i have a relay that i wired up yesterday, i ended up using the ENG CON fuse slot for the 12 volt switch but this is only temprorary till i find a safe 12 switch, ill look into the condenser fan relay? will this affect me getting my ac hooked up and running?

Last edited by raptor727; 10-19-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Formerly IThaJokaI

Originally Posted by raptor727
i have a relay that i wired up yesterday, i ended up using the ENG CON fuse slot for the 12 volt switch but this is only temprorary till i find a safe 12 switch, ill look into the condenser fan relay? will this affect me getting my ac hooked up and running?
No it wont affect it.