Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

SR starter question...

Old 02-14-2009, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR starter question...

Installed my SR motor and the car turns over rather slow....VERY SLOW. Battery is in good shape, pulled from my truck. Pulled the starter out and checked it and seems to work fine when hooking it up to the battery. Reinstalled and nothing. Could the starter be shot or is there something else I should check into? I did some searching on the net and found where some have been able to use the sohc ka starter body with front part of the SR starter. Is there truth in this? I hate to go and buy a reman ka starter only to find out it wont work. Maybe somebody has a SR starter on the cheap side???
Thanks..
Old 02-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Doesnt see what you did

Yes your starter is probably toast if you've got a good charge, and good connections. I'd suggest putting a volt meter on things while you are cranking. You can also take the starter to the parts store and have them test it, chances are it's pulling a lot of current and not doing much engine turning.

I have a SR starter for $100 if you want it.
full on track cars can take a lot more liberties with shit than a street car. bell bottom kits and crazy wheel fitment look cool sliding on a track, but when i want to drive to taco bus, im going to ruin all of that shit. so it just doesnt work for me. function over fashion.
Originally Posted by osama tim laden
also, im about to blow my moderator status by deleteing all of davids posts
R.I.P. Tim

SR, RB, and LS1 into S13/14 harnesses converted.

SR 13/13- $120, 13/14 or 14/13 $180
RB $200
LS1 $250
Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 AM
(SHIFT-YOUR SHITS WEAK)

check ur battery with a volt tester sounds like it is slowly dieing.
should be at 12volt plus.
when the battery is low it turns it over slower..

Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Hates cars...

Search google, all of your answers are there.

There has even been on ENTIRE thread on ka-sr starter swaps here, not to mention on other forums.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:40 PM

CHECK THE GROUNDS. sounds like the problem to me. The main ground off your battery should go directly to the engine block. Make sure that is connected cleanly. And if all this looks good go get you a nice soch ka starter and swap the base. And lastly Sr20det Starter Swap - Zilvia.net Forums Google is your friend
Old 02-14-2009, 06:20 PM

SR20 Freak, Thanks for the link. I found a few that talked about it, did a write up with no pics, but the link you provided is just what I need if mine takes a dump. (I think I found my problem, issue with the + cable.) I double check the connections and I think that was my problem. As soon as the engine turned over the motor started. Felt good being my first swap and it started. Now I have to start a new post to ask a few questions on how to get the car to idle properly. Would you happen to have a link that goes into detail on how to set timing? In the meantime Im gonna do some research on the subject.
Thanks again....
Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM

How To Set Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) Timing on the SR20DET Engine
base timing have fun
Old 02-14-2009, 06:45 PM

Found that link a few mins ago....Im trying to find infomation on how to check timing with a timing gun. I have the timing light that goes around the plug wire, but never messed around with a car with coil packs. Do you check timing the same way?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:55 PM

theres a little loop on the back of the valve cover in the coil pack harness it works for me but i here a lot of people say it wont work so they just put a plug wire between number one coil and the plug and check it that way
Old 02-14-2009, 07:01 PM

I know the loop your are talking about. I will check that out. Thanks for taking the time to help me with my questions....