Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Good News

Old 07-11-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good News

After a ton of Research and asking a few questions...No one has really discussed the VQ swap on this forum...So without further adeu...I present you with my plan. I just recently started looking for a shop to do the VQ swap into my s14. I have another post open about that which can be closed as I am going to attempt as much of the swap alone as humanly possible. I had purchased a few parts from VQswap.com including my drive shaft which has the VQ tranny end and the z32 end for the z32 rear conversion I just got back from a friends house with a VQ35HR and 6 speed xmission in the back of his truck. I picked it up for 3k together. *7500 revlimit....swweeeettt* I couldn't get the ECU unfortunatly so it looks like ill be on the lookout for a megasquirt *hint hint* due to the fact that the ECU ABSOLUTLEY HAS TO MATCH the ingition system due to the security system...gay...

I am going to post more about the swap as i go along and when the rest of my parts come in I will post the parts you will need along with picutes. Also I may need a bit of help with the throttle body, it will need to be converted to cable operation...fun fun and anyone who might have a welder that wouldnt mind helping meh a bit that would be great.

Sooo....

Thats all for now lol you will hopefully see a running 95 240z35 soon!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
U and your 3rd dimension

its not a Z. If you insist on giving it a bastard name, call it a 350sx. Either way, I look forward to seeing the results.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:31 AM

lawls I like that...YES...the 350SX!...but then again....z32 brakes, z32 rear end, z32 hub conversion, 350z motor...350z tranny, 350z-z32 drive shaft... just throwing this out there...it's WAY more a z than a sx
Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 AM
U and your 3rd dimension

Originally Posted by sypher87
lawls I like that...YES...the 350SX!...but then again....z32 brakes, z32 rear end, z32 hub conversion, 350z motor...350z tranny, 350z-z32 drive shaft... just throwing this out there...it's WAY more a z than a sx
Does it have the track and wheel base of any Z car? Can you run the same size wheels / tires? Is the chassis stiffness even remotely similar? Does it have 2 seats? No? 350sx it is.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 AM

Deal 350sx...I am a bit of a Z enthusiast after test driving a ZXTT...so...lol you win..not the chassis of the 240 is kinda fail...but hey it IS a sexy body ...just sad that EVERYTHING is going to be from another car besides the body panels essentially lol...but hey...rejoice...its not an SR swap!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Army Infantry

^ stop being a dick. the mans excited about his plan so dont shoot him down like that.

anyway sypher87 i would look into what ecu's will plug right up to that harness and run that motor because its the same issue with the ls1 swap. gm uses coded keys so you need the ecu reflashed or you car wont run. im sure if you got a ecu that didnt match your ignition system you could send it out to one of the places to eliminate the security safety bs off of the ecu. its only 50 bucks to have it done.

but if you do want to go megasquirt then more power to ya. im cheap so i always like to save money where i can. (hints i bring my own drinks to the movies) hahaha
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM

Well I did a bit of calling and found a junkyard off of causeway with a 03 350 sitting there. I can get the ECU as well and the ignition parts from it. SO with any luck that will work. the biggest concern I have is my motor is the HR and the ecu is from a normal 35DE but i would ASSUME it would work, would just have to get the re-flash as the mapping would be different. not sure yet though calling a few places to see. Nissan isn't saying it will be a problem but...its is Nissan I know the mega squirt is direct but I will be traveling to Cali alot for MI/GIT so it has to pass smog laws....
Old 07-11-2008, 10:27 AM
U and your 3rd dimension

Just buy an AEM EMS for the vqswap guys
Old 07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Retired

I wouldn't assume that a DE computer will run an HR motor just fine. The HR has dual VTC (or whatever they call it these day), so that's atleast one feature you'll be missing. You'll need to make sure the maf sensors are the same, which is the biggie. Timing is probably close enough and/or could be fixed by changing the base timing.

So are you going to e-throttle this thing or bitch out and put a cable in...
Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 AM

*hides* Cable seems the fastest / easiest way to do it... I would like to have the Electronic Throttle but I will say that I are bit mechanically Illiterate. But I know enough about an engine that with a little research and patience I think I can pull this one off by myself. I just know one thing...I REFUSE to be another of the 3 million 240 SR's.