Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

nissan altima/maxima. wtf do i do with it?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Anna Banana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nissan altima/maxima. wtf do i do with it?

so, i'm about to have my nissan (its an altima or maxima. i don't remember i haven't seen it in a couple of years) at my disposal.

i know its an automatic and the year is somewhere in the 90s.

its been sitting up north for a couple of years and hasn't been run much. my pops got it started up for me and is recharging the battery. its running now. except when the battery was connected the horn started blasting. dont know why (any theories?) supposedly the brakes are still good (redoing the brakes anyway), and the tires "need to be pumped up a little" (i'm just gonna get a new set of tires.) i don't know anything about under the hood because my dad can't look under it cause he can't bend down (oldddd).

my plan was to get a different engine for it (since the one in it has just been sitting for a couple years) or rebuild it. and i wanted to swap it to manual if it wasn't going to be an overwhelming amount of hassle.

but i wanted advice on what engine to get for it, what maintenance should i do when i have it in front of me, what should i replace right away. advice on the transmission swap? best tires to get for it?

i dont know much about nissans. and i definately don't know much about cars + north. (car is in baltimore MD). and i really don't know what i'm supposed to do with a car thats been sitting for about 4 or 5 years not being driven.

any advice/help/thoughts appreciated. i'll wait until i have it running right before asking about how to make it better than stock.

<3
Sex is like the most illegal thing i've done besides race.
www.myspace.com/tattoo_a_hart

~Anna

<gangstariffic
Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Offset Is Everything

First off, your avatar made me chuckle, ok, laugh pretty hystarically...

as for your car, get rid of the gas thats in it. Bad gas is no fun for the car. Basic tune up (fluid change, filter change, maybe plugs and wires). Tires would definitely be on my list due to flat spots from sitting and possible rotting. That route, Nexxens are pretty in-expensive good tires, Fuzions are good too, you don't need anything super grippy, i say as long as its a directional tire w/ good tread wear you should be fine.

As far as swapping is concerned, im not a front wheel drive kinda guy, but I would assume you would be looking at putting a VQ35DE from a newer maxima in it. I have no idea what kind of labor is involved on a 5-speed swap here, but hopefully some one else will chime in.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Anna Banana

i honestly pretty much just want a gas efficient engine for it. but not like... a sucky one. i want it to not crap out every other day. ( i dont have a very good experience with nissans) cause i won't have my eclipse up north for a while. (i don't have good experiences with mitsubishi's either but both of mine have run without constant death and destruction)

and the non super grippy tires thing worries me cause of the whole... snow..... ice..... salt..... curvey curvey roads.

& i wouldn't mind rear wheel drive. it'd probably take me a minute to learn it, but ya know. takes getting use to. just like the 5 speed took getting use to.

~Anna

<gangstariffic
Old 05-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Unregistered User

if its an altima, youll be rocking a 2.4 L 4 cylinder. if its a max, you will be pushing a vq30, which is a GREAT motor..... (not exactly as good of mileage as the ka24, but not bad. enjoy your new car). btw its kinda funny you dont know what kind of car it is.. hah

"Is that thing turbo'd or intercooled?"
Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Anna Banana

i haven't seen it in like 4 years. i asked my dad what it was. i should know in like... 2 or 3 days.

~Anna

<gangstariffic
Old 05-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Offset Is Everything

if you're asking for all season tire advice, you'll have to wait for an expert. Here in Florida we dont have to deal with sleat / snow, just rain. Thats where the directional tread pattern kicks in, its better for getting water out from under it to keeping it from hydroplaning.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:28 PM

arent you the supra girl?

R.I.P - Tim Aldrich (Osama Tim Laden)

Old 05-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Anna Banana

i guess? god DAMN i still want a fucking supra.

~Anna

<gangstariffic
Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Bewbie Ricer Type-R

if it's an early 90's maxima could have the vg30 in it. very stout motor and when taken care of it will run forever. lots of upgrades since it's the z31 motor as well.
"Damn, my girl got snatched..."
"Kick his ass dude!"
"Nah man... it was Patrick bro"
"Awww shit... leave it alone, that fucker will kill you"
"I didn't know Jesus went to this school"
"Nah dude... that guy right there, that's Patrick. But they are easily confused"