Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

ka24 Broken Timing Chain...help please.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:11 AM
All Aboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ka24 Broken Timing Chain...help please.

my dad purchased a 92 nissan pickup truck with a k24 knowing it had issues with the motor. he just diagnosed the problem as a broken timing chain.

now, i'm guessing these motors are interference motors...at least at high rpm's. would it be smart to just pull the head and have it checked/replaced?

or should he replace the chain and check compression...and go from there.

basically, he's kinda looking for some advice with these motors since he's never really worked on nissan's before.

also, if anyone has a good k24 head i'm sure he'd be interested...and if anyone had a good k24 longblock i'm sure he'd be interested in that as well. the motor didn't have much oil in it...although that doesn't usually stop these things from running.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 AM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

in theory replacing the chain and firing it up is possible but if he hasnt seen it run yet, he might be better off pulling the head to check things out, since you dont know if the damage has been done yet.

the ka24 is pretty stout but i've seen some freaky things happen.

as for the low oil, unless it was running bone dry, it might not be so bad. id say fill it up with oil and it should be fine.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Saddlebrook

Yeah i would try and find a differnt motor if i were you.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
fails.....

Originally Posted by dan
in theory replacing the chain and firing it up is possible but if he hasnt seen it run yet, he might be better off pulling the head to check things out, since you dont know if the damage has been done yet.

the ka24 is pretty stout but i've seen some freaky things happen.

as for the low oil, unless it was running bone dry, it might not be so bad. id say fill it up with oil and it should be fine.
yeah, I'll second that.

I've had both extremes happen to me. One motor, the chain broke and everything was fine, the other, the chain broke and the motor was toast...
If you want to do it right, you'll tear the head off and basically rebuild it. If you are just looking to get it running, try doing the chain and see what happens.
get your hands on a good FSM, the haynes you get at auto zone isn't good enough...
good luck