Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

my S14, stock BOV + HKS SSQ, wtf?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Rojya Productions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my S14, stock BOV + HKS SSQ, wtf?

So i tried to ask on Nico, haven't gotten any response yet...

I recently bought a car from a friend that i've been interested in for a long time. 97 240sx with an SR20DET swap. I drove the car from NYC to southwest Florida straight through with no issues, and my friend hasn't had any issues with the car. He's put 5000 miles on the swap and it's been garaged kept and he hardly would take it out in the 4 years he's owned it (14k miles on it since he bought it when it had the stock KA in it). This is my first turbo car and also my first manual car. I have a 2006 Scion xB and a 1991 Mazda Miata hardtop.Anyhow, he showed me that the stock BOV is still in place underneath the fusebox. The line from the BOV to the "cold pipe?" going into the throttle body is hooked up, and the other same size line from the BOV to the intake itself (behind the MAF) is hooked up.
A friend of mine down here in FL looked at it (he has a MKIV Supra NA-T) and showed/told me that the vacuum line is not hooked up. He also said i should look into taking the stock BOV out and capping the other 2 lines that are connected cause he can't see why the stock BOV is needed. When my friend that i bought the car from showed/told me about the stock BOV still being there i asked him why couldn't i just take it out and run and connect the two lines leftover together, he said most people do that in some way but he didn't like the look of it so he just left it how it was.
Another friend told me that maybe the stock BOV could be leaking under higher boost, even tho it's set up to recirculate he said usually stock BOVs will leak out beyond certain PSI's.

I don't really know much about turbo setups but it seems to me i should be able to remove the stock BOV and cap off those lines or connect them to free up space and save some weight in the very least lol??
My S14's pics and info here:

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/m...san-240sx.html

Thanks in advance?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Hmmmm...

Cliff notes for everyone.

He has a HKS SSQ already on the car all correctly hooked up, and has a stock bov there just sitting there, the hoses are connected but the vaccum line isnt.

My thoughts is at 14 psi the boost can be pushing the stock bov open because it doesnt have a boost or vaccum source to help it stay closed or open then redering it useless. Not sure if it can hurt anything but if it is leaking enough its just pushing the boost back at the compressor of the turbo.

I say just take the house off the intercooler pipe and cap it and then take the house that goes to teh intake pipe and plug it.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:34 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

just remove the stock bypass valve. trace the vacuum lines back (they probably go to nipples above the throttle body, and cap them.

for the cold pipe, you can usually find a cap or one of those rubber expanding plugs to get you by for a bit, but i would recommend having that piece of pipe modified to weld off the whole stock 'elbow' for the stock valve. will look much cleaner and no chances of leak.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:35 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

you can also remove the return line that goes across the top of the valve cover, be sure to plug the intake pipe hole decently as well.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Rojya Productions

K thanks for the help, going to do that soon
Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 PM
techno

you have a t28 ditch both of the bovs
Old 04-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Rojya Productions

Originally Posted by Funk
you have a t28 ditch both of the bovs
explain? i am a nub
Old 04-07-2008, 05:09 PM
techno

eh, you just dont really need a bov on a ball bearing turbo.

theres a couple ups to it

but if you are going to drive it a lot and not plan on drifting its alright

(when there is no bov, when you let off the gas the previous boost is still
in the pipes when you open the throttle body again, get it?)
Old 04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
OG Join Date: 6-15-00

What Dan said was spot on.

I would trace the vacuum lines back to their origin and hook them up to the new BOV. From there, I would eliminate the OEM BOV and be happy that you've eliminated a potential/future vacuum leak. Regardless of what others have said about ball bearing turbos, I would still run a BOV. Any stress that one can take off of a compressor and the oil seals in said compressor is great. Not everyone switches out turbos at the drop of a hat and longevity is always good with any setup.

1973 VW Squareback
1979 AMC Jeep Cherokee Chief

RIP Tim

Old 04-07-2008, 05:19 PM
techno

^ the truth hurts