Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

electric fan problems

Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Sold my sol for Silvia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question electric fan problems

'93 S13 with redtop sr20det, dual electric fans. Now that that's out of the way, my fans are wired in to run all the time, as soon as you turn the car on the fans come on so they aren't dependent on the thermostat. From looking at the wiring this was accomplished by grounding the relay on the switch portion and leaving the resistor portion alone. I was messing with the fans yesterday and when I would take the connector off the drivers side fan then turn the car on the other fan would come on. I turned it off and plugged in the driver's side fan and they both worked for a little while. They went out and I did the proses (sp) again and the worked again. They went out again today and my little voodoo routine didn't work, so I was thinking that it was the relay but a new one didn't fix it. I was thinking that if there is power at the relay box then I could just wire in a switch that would keep the resistor in the circuit but I would be able to turn the fans on and off via a switch in the car. Anybody think that would work? Also I was going to put an inline fuse in there and I was wondering if anybody knew what amperage fuse to use. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Sold my sol for Silvia

anybody got any ideas
Old 02-16-2008, 07:06 PM
DriftToy

Seems like the driver's fan has an open circuit. Try to jump that fan directly from the battery to see if it runs. If it doesnt, your fan is a gonner.

I have mine set up with a switch and power is fed directly from the battery. For my set up to work i had to use some thick enough wires and a good switch.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Sold my sol for Silvia

Originally Posted by 180sx-I
Seems like the driver's fan has an open circuit. Try to jump that fan directly from the battery to see if it runs. If it doesnt, your fan is a gonner.

I have mine set up with a switch and power is fed directly from the battery. For my set up to work i had to use some thick enough wires and a good switch.

Neither of them work now, no matter how they are hooked up, but I checked and they just aren't getting any power. What gauge wire did you use to wire yours up? I got plenty of 10 gauge layin around.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:56 PM
DriftToy

I used 10 gauge wire. If you are hooking them up directly to the battery and they arent running just give up. You need new fans.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Sold my sol for Silvia

I'm just trying to make sure I need them before I drop the money on them
Old 02-17-2008, 01:02 PM
DriftToy

Sure thing! Im currently running the altima fans. I used to have two 12" fans from autozone but they didnt do crap for me.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Sold my sol for Silvia

I re wired everything today, I ran a line from the battery in the trunk to the fans up front, I put a toggle switch and a 30 amp fuse in-line with it and it seems to be working quite nicely. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:24 PM
DriftToy

Awesome! Just dont forget to turn the fans on or off. I intalled a warning LED bulb that flashes when the fans are off. That way i wont over heat.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 PM
fails.....

Originally Posted by 180sx-I
Awesome! Just dont forget to turn the fans on or off. I intalled a warning LED bulb that flashes when the fans are off. That way i wont over heat.
good idea!
I just put the switch right next to the keys so I basically hit it every time I got my keys...