Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

overheating ka.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating ka.

well. i bought my car for a grand and i guess you get what you pay for. i bought a 91 240sx white hatch with 156*** miles. the car was sitting for 4 months. thats the first problem. the car was overheating after the main problems so we replaced the shot water pump and the thermostat. the car still overheated. we saw a lot of steam coming out of the exhaust so we thought it could be a head gasket leak. we put some sealer in the radiator and it stop the major over heating. now when i turn my car on it takes a good 2 minutes for the temperature gauge to read but when it kicks in , it goes straight to the H. Then when i accelerate it drops to normal. When i stop at stoplights and go idle it immediately overheats but then when i accelerate again it drops. i know that the sealant is temporary until i can get a headgasket replace ment. I can't afford to drop a new KA in right now so please dont tell me to do a swap. im already working on it. Any explanations or advice. im really bummed that after i finally got a 240 its shitting out. any help would be great.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Evil Egg

have you tried flushing the radiator? also try getting rid of the stock fan and wiring in an electric one.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:26 AM
Retired

Have you bled the system correctly? When I was low on coolant the temp would start going up when stopped, and go back to normal when moving. I've never driven a car with a blown headgasket, but I would think that it would try to overheat more when the car is moving (revs higher). Are your fans working? Does it have a shroud? This also sounds like if could be an airflow problem. By the way, a stock mechanical fan with good clutch moves a TON of air. Swapping a working stock fan for an electric isn't going to get you much.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:22 AM

drain all the coolant, refill it until its full, turn the car on let it heat up enough to move the thermastat, it should start bubbling and keep refilling it till its full and doesnt bubble anymore.

Originally Posted by dr. octogon
"hey, jeeves, where can i get an fwd sr20det"
jeeves: anywhere asshole !
Old 10-31-2005, 10:38 AM

thanks for all the advice. looks like im going to have to try to bleed the system again. i'll let you know what happens.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:41 AM
madpom

Originally Posted by evilsr20degg
have you tried flushing the radiator? also try getting rid of the stock fan and wiring in an electric one.
stock fan > e fan

if it had anything to do with the fans it would start to over heat as soon as its turned on

theres a screw on top of the coolent line on the top left bleed it from there