Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

crankshaft seal

Old 10-14-2005, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankshaft seal

well mine went out.. leakin oil like crazy. was wondering how hard it is to change.. just remove the pullys and fan and what not. was wondering if this is a usual thing? and if theres any like lil gay shit i should look out for while changing it?

p.s. does any one know a good way to remove oil spots from a pavier drive way?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:07 PM
madpom

fyi it's a front main seal
i havn't done it myself but i hear its not to hard
Old 10-14-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by EnZo 240
well mine went out.. leakin oil like crazy. was wondering how hard it is to change.. just remove the pullys and fan and what not. was wondering if this is a usual thing? and if theres any like lil gay shit i should look out for while changing it?

p.s. does any one know a good way to remove oil spots from a pavier drive way?
If it's the front main seal , it can be done without taking ht engine out of the car , will be very wise to do a timing chain job though. The rear main seal is a whole diff story though.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:15 PM

uhh if its a front main, theres no need to open up the front cover, so it is easy. all you do is disconnect all the belts from the main pully and then get a pully puller and get the pully off, take a flat head screw driver and jam it into the seal and yank the seal out, try not to f up the front chain cover too bad. and when putting the seal back in use a flat 2x4 and hit the wood with a hammer all the way around then once its good and seated TAP the seal with the hammer to get it the rest of the way down. make sure u oil the center of the new seal when putting it in, that makes it a lot easier. also if u want take the intake, radiator, and shroud out first, this makes plenty of swinging room, and working room

and as for the driveway purple stuff, carb cleaner and a high power pressure washer
as far as usual.... it happens so get used to it, i went through 2 before the 3rd worked right, discount's parts arent that great.

any more questions call me 813-416-1436, ive done this too many times

ELUDER- its more fun doing a timing chain in the car than that. first you have to get the oil pan off and to get the oil pan to drop far enough you have to loosen the motor mounts and jack the motor up then its a piece of cake, but thats the fun part ne way.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:05 PM

kk thanks guys alot. I'm glad i got a better feel of what im about to get myself into...

gotta love that 240 though... she's my baby. i mean shit my girl gets jealuse pshh
Old 10-17-2005, 08:01 PM

ok changed it today and so far no leek thanks guys for ur help
Old 10-18-2005, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by turkeyspot
uhh if its a front main, theres no need to open up the front cover, so it is easy. all you do is disconnect all the belts from the main pully and then get a pully puller and get the pully off, take a flat head screw driver and jam it into the seal and yank the seal out, try not to f up the front chain cover too bad. and when putting the seal back in use a flat 2x4 and hit the wood with a hammer all the way around then once its good and seated TAP the seal with the hammer to get it the rest of the way down. make sure u oil the center of the new seal when putting it in, that makes it a lot easier. also if u want take the intake, radiator, and shroud out first, this makes plenty of swinging room, and working room

and as for the driveway purple stuff, carb cleaner and a high power pressure washer
as far as usual.... it happens so get used to it, i went through 2 before the 3rd worked right, discount's parts arent that great.

any more questions call me 813-416-1436, ive done this too many times

ELUDER- its more fun doing a timing chain in the car than that. first you have to get the oil pan off and to get the oil pan to drop far enough you have to loosen the motor mounts and jack the motor up then its a piece of cake, but thats the fun part ne way.
I was just saying that it's a good preventive maintnence measure, i know that it is more work , but since earlier timing chained nissans are prone to having guides/tensioners fail , it would be a good idea to replace.