Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

SR20DE questions.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR20DE questions.

I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MOTORS....EXCEPT THAT I WANT AN SR20....
Like it says... I dont know anything. But I have a 1990 Nissan 240SX. And I have a friend who has an SR20DE motor he will sell me for $500. So if you guys gould help me, I would appreciate it.

First... Will the SR20 motor bolt onto my KA24E transmission?

He said that all it is is the motor and I need to get the alternator and everything else that attaches onto the motor...

Second question... What is attached to the motor that I would need?

Third question...Since it is an SR20DE motor, and I attach a turbo to make it SR20DET?

Fourth question... Is an SR20DE with 100,XXX miles on it worth $500? (I think I know the answer to that one, I just want some opinions)

I know most of you reading this are probablly thinking "If this guy doesn't know the answer to these questions, he doesn't need a different motor, and should get off this site" Lol. But I am VERY interested in learning anything and everything I can about motors and everything else about cars...All of my friends talk about all the stuff their car has... or plans for their cars.. and Im like "wtf are you talking about". So please ANY help you can give me would be greatly appreciated...
Also if you want to help me out and tell me other stuff about Nissans or anything that deals with cars that would be good to know that I dont know..like..everything I would appreciate it...
Thanks Guys..
-Danny-

Oh yeah... one more thing... Other the Xat... where would be a good place to get my motor swapped?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:12 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

Originally Posted by danny_240sx
I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MOTORS....EXCEPT THAT I WANT AN SR20....
Like it says... I dont know anything. But I have a 1990 Nissan 240SX. And I have a friend who has an SR20DE motor he will sell me for $500. So if you guys gould help me, I would appreciate it.

First... Will the SR20 motor bolt onto my KA24E transmission?

He said that all it is is the motor and I need to get the alternator and everything else that attaches onto the motor...

Second question... What is attached to the motor that I would need?

Third question...Since it is an SR20DE motor, and I attach a turbo to make it SR20DET?

Fourth question... Is an SR20DE with 100,XXX miles on it worth $500? (I think I know the answer to that one, I just want some opinions)

I know most of you reading this are probablly thinking "If this guy doesn't know the answer to these questions, he doesn't need a different motor, and should get off this site" Lol. But I am VERY interested in learning anything and everything I can about motors and everything else about cars...All of my friends talk about all the stuff their car has... or plans for their cars.. and Im like "wtf are you talking about". So please ANY help you can give me would be greatly appreciated...
Also if you want to help me out and tell me other stuff about Nissans or anything that deals with cars that would be good to know that I dont know..like..everything I would appreciate it...
Thanks Guys..
-Danny-

Oh yeah... one more thing... Other the Xat... where would be a good place to get my motor swapped?
1. no you will need the sr20de (or det) transmission.

2. with the de, its not turbo, so you'll need the intake (or have one made), exhaust manifold (header), and have an exhaust made or purchased (any s13 exhaust will work, 2.5" or 3" are fine), you'll need the ECU and the harness too.

3. yes, the sr20det parts will bolt onto the sr20de motor, except i believe the oil and coolant lines that lubricate and cool the turbocharger. those might have to be custom made and routed, the oil pan will have to be tapped for the oil return and etc. the sr20de motor has a higher compression and different internals, so tuning will be required. if you want a turbo, id suggest just waiting, saving up and doing an sr20det swap, you'll end up alot happier and trouble free later on. and you wont have to buy things twice...do it once, do it right.

4. if its maintained properly and in good runnning order, yes $500 is about right. especially if its the japanese rear wheel drive version, which arent easy to come by in the USA like a replacement KA motor would. but for $500 and that mileage i would expect it to have the header, transmission, harness, ECU, and possibly an intake. like i said, its worth it to get the sr20det for what you seem to be eventually going for.

xat seems to be a decent place, durdan perfab (taylor is on this board and does excellent work, zfever, and there are other countless shops that could get the job done probably.

i suggest visiting 240sx.org and reading the FAQ section, and reading the archived sections on freshalloy.com (best of 240sx forum section), and even research the NICO board on 240sx.org and zilvia.com's board. (though the last 2 i dont find to be as technical as freshalloy).

google is your best friend, play with it and see what you can find.

www.howstuffworks.com is my favorite place for basic knowledge on engines and getting overall views of how things work.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:14 PM

thanks. I appreciate it a lot man...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:20 PM
do it BIG!!

a sr20de motor? hmm..i am assuming its the FWD SR..and that wont work!
[pulsar/NX, SE-R, SE Limited
but if its a RWD SR..awesome find! good luck finding the other parts needed for the sr to work

STANZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Old 09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Retired

Like Oni said, Make sure it's a RWD motor, and not from a Sentra or other FWD car. If it came from the US, then it's NOT RWD.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:43 AM

nope, it is FWD so I said forget it.. oh well.. I will think of something else.