Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

TURBO on KA Motor?

Old 04-16-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBO on KA Motor?

Ok, I did some research on the net. Found several places offering complete turbo kits for the Nissan 240sx KA motor. (I also checked xatracing.com, great site!) Heres my question. What should I do as far as a "pre installation" of the turbo? This car has 120k miles on the motor. But the guy before me took pretty good care of it. Now, pay attention, I have money. I already know I am going to put different pistons and rods on this car, to balance the compression. So, all I need to know, is... what kind of tests should I put on the motor before I begin to accomplish this?
Old 04-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Cpt. Negative

More money than brains = no money.

No tests required since you plan on putting different pistons and rods in the car. Because, well.. it'll be a rebuilt motor after that.
-Jeff
Old 04-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Sideways Maffia

You can do a leakdown test that will help you see the condition of your valvetrain. If you did do research, i'd spend a little more time reserching.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:35 PM
Cpt. Negative

See.. when you disassemble the engine to rebuild it.. valve guides and seals should be ordered as if they were gaskets.. cheap parts to replace while everything is apart. If you don't, it'll be a $500 headache later. So - that's why I neglected to say anything about the valvetrain.
-Jeff
Old 04-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Sideways Maffia

yea i understand thats a given jeff...but he seems kinda new at this whole engine stuff
Old 04-17-2005, 08:53 AM

Thanks guys for helping me out. I am new to the import race scene, domestic cars are my specialty. The beauty of having 4 cyl cars, is the amount of power they put out and their gas mileage. I did, however, do more research and found it would be easier just to do the SR20 swap. And I did look into replacing the valves, new cyllander heads, rods and pistons, its too much of a headache, and I would rather just buy an SR20 motor with about 30-50K on the motor, with warranty, then rebuilding the KA krap thats in there now. Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Cpt. Negative

Pfft. Warranty on a SR? A *startup* warranty? Woot woot! 30k miles? Maybe 3 years ago you could find them that low.

The cost of an SR - which has risen greatly in the past year - is about the same cost as rebuilding the KA. But, as was just stated, the KA pistons are good to 400hp (break point), and the rods are good to the 500rwhp mark. Meanwhile.. rebuilding the KA gives you a zero mile engine, with a fairly long (5000 mile or so) parts and labor warranty.
But.. do whatever SuperStreet tells you to. I'm not against the SR at all.. and if I had a 2nd 240sx, it'd be sr powered. But I am against unknowledgable people calling one motor "krap" with no evidence.
-Jeff
Old 04-17-2005, 11:32 PM
madpom

preach on my brother
Old 04-18-2005, 04:52 AM

then rebuilding the KA krap thats in there now
ahhh hells nah! Your SR vs. our KA's in one month!

Quick Reply: TURBO on KA Motor?