Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Oil in spark plug.....

Old 04-14-2005, 06:06 PM
shift.............vroooom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in spark plug.....

I pulled my plugs today and one of them had oil on it. It seemed to be on the threads. Im praying to god its a valve cover seal. Also, i looked at each of the pistons with a flash light and they have black carbon deposit on them but they also have little dots where u can see the piston and some parts are brownish. Does this mean im detonating!? Now, im gonna replace the gaskets but how do i clean the oil that in the threads of the spark plug chamber? :sigh: cant i ever catch a break..............

http://inductionperformance.com/
Induction Performance - 727.505.1423
AEM EMS Tuning, Builds, Assembly, Custom Kits, Installs and more.....
Old 04-14-2005, 06:16 PM
SUPAFLY!!!

it sounds like the valve cover gasket.....either its bad or the valve cover isnt on tight enough. Sometimes the seals around the spark plug holes gets crispy from the heat.....try replaceing them first and make sure the valve cover is tight down. About the oil in the threads....it will go away....if ur car starts to burn oil for a quick second then u kno y. Thats all i can think it is.

Miles

ADHD= Always Drifting Hardly Driving

Old 04-14-2005, 06:49 PM

Hey thanx man, i will try replacing those tomorrow. Is there any torque spec for the valve cover? Do i need to torque it down or just tighten it down as much as i think necessary?

Old 04-14-2005, 08:17 PM
kings cannot fall.

i imed you about it, but ill post it too, make sure you get a napa valve cover gasket.
ive tried a thousand times and couldnt get the spark plug seals from nissan. and the napa one comes with it, and its no headache.

just criss cross the bolts and you should be fine, and clean all the old gasket maker out, and use permatex grey, or "form a gasket" permatex. its #2 i believe.
either one works well.
the oil on the threads is no big deal, i see that pretty often, if it leaks oil down the plug tubes, the spark plug doesnt make a totally watertight seal sometimes, and it could be that.
or it was oil that leaked in last time the plugs were removed, either way,. it shouldnt be a big deal. (or at least not near the size of your other 3453453453 problems youve had)
Old 04-14-2005, 08:17 PM

much as you think is nec. do it evenly on them all tho and go diagnal like you're putting a tire on..how i do mine works fine.

Originally Posted by dr. octogon
"hey, jeeves, where can i get an fwd sr20det"
jeeves: anywhere asshole !
Old 04-14-2005, 09:26 PM
SUPAFLY!!!

yea thats should be it.....make sure that the gasket has a little oil on it, like when u put on a oil filter just to make sure ya kno.....and like they said, cris-cros the tightening pattern on the valve cover bots...DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM!!!! they will break and that side of the valve cover will leak like a bitch....just a little warning....

Miles

ADHD= Always Drifting Hardly Driving

Old 04-15-2005, 03:18 PM

Well guys, thank you for all your help. I just finished installing new spark plug seal and valve cover gasket. The seals looked a little different than the ones that were on there but they fit right into the hole. It came as a kit. I put gray rtv on the half moon things but i think i might have put too much. Oh well, i guess we'll see tomorrow when i start her up. Wish me luck .
The screws feel as if they never really tighten ...after a while they feel a bit hard but just keep spinning. if u keep tightening them so i thought about what you guys said to be careful with braking those things. I guess they're supposed to be like that then?

Norlandt

Last edited by cubanprince1; 04-15-2005 at 03:21 PM.