Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

anyone familiar with body work?

Old 02-14-2005, 08:37 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile anyone familiar with body work?

As most of you know i am getting a silvia front end for my s13 coupe i was wondering since the new front end dosent have the side markers i would like to remove that back ones too and also i would like to shave the antenna because i have a internal antenna so its no use to me now. So should i like weld a small peice of metal behind the empty hole where the marker was and bondo the outer surface to be flush or will the welding cause too much heat? And im not sure how to mold the antenna because there isnt too much room to weld under there saftly without causing heat spots...
lmk what you guys have to offer as imput.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:40 PM
madpom

fiberglass
pm me an offer
Old 02-15-2005, 05:13 AM

if you weld you WILL be re-painting, but you would re-paint anyways to cover up the beautiful pink bondo. Just make sure your capable, or someone is, of welding thin sheet metal, but yeah thats how body shops do it. Orrrrr, glass it like steve suggested. So long as the hole is filled and flush your good to go.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:46 AM

Just back tape and fill it in with body filler.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Retired

Do NOT back tape and fill. I tried this when I was filling spoiler holes on a hatch. They just fell through when I started sanding. I wound up putting a single sheet of fiberglass on the back side, which was very easy. Then I filled the top side with Bondo Ultimate. After filling a dozen holes, including the wiper hole, you couldn't tell there had ever been anything there before. (except one of the spoiler holes had a reverse dent) I hit the biggest hole with my fist to make sure it was solid, too. In hind sight, I probably could have glassed the whole thing. As long as you build it up from the backside and spend some extra time shaping/sanding the top, it shouldn't be hard to get it perfect. It was my first experience with fiberglass, bondo, and body work. If you're not afraid of screwing up, give it a whirl. If not, I'm sure someone who has glassed before wouldn't have a problem with it.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Shakotan/Hippari life.

if u do the welding, u will cause some warpage due to the heat. but a little bondo will help straighten it back out. there are a lot of different things u can try,just gotta choose to your skill level

-'03 GSX-R 750
Old 02-15-2005, 08:22 AM
weezin the juice

Good thing I know how to fiberglass and such...Don't weld something like that, fiberglass would be the way to go.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:58 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

ok i am going fiberglass from steve