Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

The Kharmic Balance of Z & MR-2 Ownership: Repairs, Repairs

Old 11-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Down Shift Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Kharmic Balance of Z & MR-2 Ownership: Repairs, Repairs

Rant/Update On:

So, as many of the Florida members are aware, my Z has been down most of the past 2 years for various reasons. Among other things I stopped driving the car, as it approached the 60K maintenance...a mistake if I ever made one. Once, I stopped driving the Z it went quickly down hill and while I enjoyed driving my then beater S-13...I should not have neglected the Z. So there it sat in my driveway for a year...driving it only occasionally always looking for time to do the 60K, but rarely finding any.

So, one afternoon I went out to drive the Z and noticed that my gas door was open, and a hinge broke. I didn't think much of it....though not sure why...but why would I, the car had sat in and out of my garage. So, I hop in and start it up...conks out 20 seconds later.

So, the hunt is then on with my limited mechanical expertise. I quickly come to the realization, something is not right with the gas... I disconnect the fuel filter and run some hose to a bucket and proceed to turn the engine over pumping gas out and into the bucket.

Much to my horror I scooped up a clear glass full of gasoline and it looked like Gatorade...green frigid Gatorade. The green settled to the bottom and clear gas on top...but it was weak not wreaking of fumes as gas should. So, a few more logical deductions later and I quickly came to the realization that someone had put something in the tank, of who I have a good idea. she is a vindictive witch. So, knowledge in hand I siphoned the rest of the contaminated gas out, added isoheat and refilled the tank.

The Z ran again, but not for long. Shortly there after the fuel pump died, not surprising considering the crap I had pushed through it. So, I replaced the pump, which died in a mere month. I then drained the tank, refilled and replaced the pump. The fuel pump Died in a month and a half this time around. Also, it was in this time frame Ric aka HaloZ came down and helped me do the 60K, huge thanks to Ric on that one! On my own a few weeks later with some assistance from TTNet technical and my laptop I removed the fuel tank, cleaned it out, reinstalled, blew out the fuel lines and replaced the pump...again The car then ran a few months and eventually conked out again! I suspected another dead pump, but had Harry Sandhu aka YellowZXTT (Ztuner) come by and checked it out as I was at wits end. As it turned out it was an electrical problem and an hour or less of Harry's magic had it was running like a champ.

So, now finally 2 years later the car is running perfectly. In no small part thanks to Ric and Harry for their support and help. Thanks even go out to Scubasteve who helped me drain the tank the first time. So, I have now put 700+ miles on the car and its running great. Everything should be great in my world, I finally have both my Z and MR2 to drive....but no...

So, last weekend Ric was in town to pickup some parts for his S-13 SR swap, and he and I took my MR2 over to Clearwater from Tampa to mee the guy he was buying them from. It was a nice day, cool clear skies, temps in the upper 70's. Everything was going great, until we got about 3/4 of the way back to Carrollwood. I passed through the first toll on the 589 Expressway and immediately began to loose power, then the MR2 conked out all together. Pull over, and Ric starts to try and figure it out. Engine is hot, very hot and seemingly devoid of oil despite my just changing it a month ago. No oil light, no smoke or buring oil out the exhaust, no visible leaks...wtf?

Let the car cool off and knock, knock, knock. Limp it off the xway to a grocery store and add 4 quarts of oil...limp it home. Ric and I actually pushing it part of the way...and to add to the stress I was now running late to a photo shoot!

So the diagnosis bad rod bearing....so now I'm back to one car. Either rebuild, replace or sell *sigh*

My Descision: On the upside, this gives me the perfect chance to swap the 5SFE out of the MR2 and install a gen 2 3SGTE, something I have had in mind ever since I purchased the car anyways. Perhaps this was a blessing in disguise, only died after I had the Z fixed and gives me the proper motivation to make the 2 into a little turbo deamon.

As far as the Z, shortly it's heading to Harry's "shop" to have the suspension reworked, adjustable tension rods upper a-arms, ground controls and camber correction as well as clean up the vaccum hoses, relocate the PCV's and tune out the ecu. With all that done, its off to the body shop for all new paint, fascia, side skirts and spoiler. Then, to one of our advertiseers that does auto upholstery to have my tank interior swapped out for black suede. Down Shift's 2nd project Z will be complete...2 years in the making and it will be time to start on Project MR2, Pt 2.

The big almighty upstairs evidently just doesn't want me to enjoy 2 cars at once...and I fealt a good update/rant on TR was in order.

Last edited by Rob.M; 11-12-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:41 AM
highway whore

rerun.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Down Shift Magazine

Default Yeah

But only you and I know that. Damn forum whore. Go hit up MGT.