Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

when hot won't start?

Old 07-31-2004, 07:43 AM
TR OG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when hot won't start?

moter turns over but will not start untill cool down ?why

Old 07-31-2004, 11:04 AM
Sideways Maffia

it doesn't really make sense...how old are your plug wires? Does it ever have problems starting even when its cool?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Unregistered User

Most likely a bad temp sensor (or wires going to it). Also possible, but not probable that it could be suffering from vapor lock. My 280zx had a similar problem. Turns out a wire coming off the cylinder head temp sensor was broken. I'm not sure what temperature related sensors you've got, but check resistance on all of them. If possible check them at the ECU plug.
-Matt
Old 08-01-2004, 06:05 AM
TR OG

Originally posted by RubberBerner
it doesn't really make sense...how old are your plug wires? Does it ever have problems starting even when its cool?
no

Old 08-01-2004, 06:08 AM
TR OG

i drive it and sometimes it just shuts off and won't start back up untill cool

Old 08-01-2004, 07:57 AM

Will the car be running but seem low on power? Or will you pull to a stop and the engine seems to want to shut off? Or does it run fine until you shut it off, and then that's when it decides to not crank up?<-----Its important to know which one of these it is. If its one or both of the first two, then read below. If its the third one then i have no suggestions.

Do you have the correct oil level in the engine? Are the coolant levels correct? If so then are you sure your thermostate and/or oil pump is operating properly? Sounds as if your over heating and the car is shuting down till it can cope. You need to fix this like yesterday cause the more you do this you are just allowing the cylinder walls to get scored. Eventually you will get it hot enough that one or more pistions will melt to the cylinder wall.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:23 AM
lifelong learner

ect? codes?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:18 PM
TR OG

Originally posted by tampamax
Will the car be running but seem low on power? Or will you pull to a stop and the engine seems to want to shut off? Or does it run fine until you shut it off, and then that's when it decides to not crank up?<-----Its important to know which one of these it is. If its one or both of the first two, then read below. If its the third one then i have no suggestions.

Do you have the correct oil level in the engine? Are the coolant levels correct? If so then are you sure your thermostate and/or oil pump is operating properly? Sounds as if your over heating and the car is shuting down till it can cope. You need to fix this like yesterday cause the more you do this you are just allowing the cylinder walls to get scored. Eventually you will get it hot enough that one or more pistions will melt to the cylinder wall.
no ....good oil and pressure.... temp is in the middle of temp gauge------i have stock raiator with duel fans stock thermostate

Old 08-01-2004, 05:04 PM

Yes, but did you check these things to make sure they were operating properly? Just because you have a stock thermostate doesn't mean it wont break. Same for the temp gauge. I've seen my share if gauges that will only register half way. That's how my overheating Legend went unoticed until it strated stumbling when i pulled up to make a stop.

Another thing to check is go squeeze the radiator hoses and listen for a cracking noise(when the hoses are cool and do it with your hand).....you can feel it too. If you get that then you have a seriously dirty cooling system. The chances that you had a piece or a few peices of corrosion work its way to the thermostate or into the water pump is worth looking into.

Answering these question would help to pinpoint the problem....Will the car be running but seem low on power? Or will you pull to a stop and the engine seems to want to shut off? Or does it run fine until you shut it off, and then that's when it decides to not crank up?<-----Its important to know which one of these it is. If its one or both of the first two, then read below. If its the third one then i have no suggestions.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:06 PM

As someone mentioned earlier it would be helpful to pull codes on the car to rule out an electrical problem.