Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

98 Maxima cold start problem

Old 04-13-2004, 03:13 PM
No Mam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Maxima cold start problem

My wife's 98 Maxima has been having a cold start problem. In the morning, the car turns over, catches, then dies. You have to hold the gas pedal down and then start it. Give it gas when you start it, then it will idle down and be fine. It only has the problem on the first start of the day. It starts fine the rest of the time. There are no check engine lights or any other problems. The car runs great after it starts. I've done the basic maintainence to the car. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Bewbie Ricer Type-R

Which engine is that? the VG or VQ? I can never remember. My car had similair problems and it's a VG30ET, Turned out the plug for the high idle control was shot, replaced it and problem solved
"Damn, my girl got snatched..."
"Kick his ass dude!"
"Nah man... it was Patrick bro"
"Awww shit... leave it alone, that fucker will kill you"
"I didn't know Jesus went to this school"
"Nah dude... that guy right there, that's Patrick. But they are easily confused"
Old 04-13-2004, 05:08 PM
No Mam

It is the VQ30DE dual overhead cam motor.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:10 PM

Ive got a code scanner you could come by or meet up and see if we can pull some hidden codes. Or try out www.maxima.org/forums and ask the same question over there. I'm sure you have a good answer in minutes.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:17 PM

Sorry to hear about the cold starting issue with your Wife's Max.
I used to own a 1998 SE (5-spd) and never had any cold starting issues or any other engine problems with it.
Unfortunately, I sold it (Nov 2003) so that I could use the $$$$ to help pay for my 2003 350Z. It had 101,000+ miles (75% highway miles) when it was sold and it still ran like new.
I kind of regret selling it, but oh well. At least its in good hands with family.
Maybe I'll buy it back sometime. After I finish paying off my Z.
Best of luck to ya.

2010 BMW 335i
Monaco Blue, Premium+Sport package, Steptronic shift

2005 Ford Mustang GT
Redfire Metallic
5-spd
IUP
Diablosport Tuner
Ford Racing silver Bullitt wheels
K&N
Car Domain - Ford Mustang GT

1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes 380SL roadster
Old 04-17-2004, 03:04 AM
No Mam

Originally posted by tampamax
Ive got a code scanner you could come by or meet up and see if we can pull some hidden codes. Or try out www.maxima.org/forums and ask the same question over there. I'm sure you have a good answer in minutes.
Thanks for the offer.

I was doing some looking around in various manuals and came up with one thing to check before i bother anyone. Apparently there is a mechanical spring on the throttle body that holds the throttle open when it is cold. As the car warms, the spring allows the throttle blade to return to it's normal position. The setting is adjustable to some extent. There is a process to check it that I want to run through first. If that fails to remedy the situation, I'll get in touch with you and see about the scan for a code.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:11 AM
No Mam

Originally posted by jt14894
Sorry to hear about the cold starting issue with your Wife's Max.
I used to own a 1998 SE (5-spd) and never had any cold starting issues or any other engine problems with it.
Unfortunately, I sold it (Nov 2003) so that I could use the $$$$ to help pay for my 2003 350Z. It had 101,000+ miles (75% highway miles) when it was sold and it still ran like new.
I kind of regret selling it, but oh well. At least its in good hands with family.
Maybe I'll buy it back sometime. After I finish paying off my Z.
Best of luck to ya.
I still think the Maxima is one of the best comprimises between a sports car and a family car. There was nothing close for the money in 98 when we bought it. I wish a 350Z was an option, but with a 2 year old and another coming in July, we need the back seat and four doors. The 98 will be around for a while, it's only got 75K on it and still runs like new other than the cold start issue.