Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

how much psi can a redtop sr20det hold?

Old 03-27-2004, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much psi can a redtop sr20det hold?

im planning to get one and i was wondering how much psi it can handle with the stock sr20 internals. im goin to get my redtop done at xatracing and im gettin the stage 2 performance package 260hp without touching boost.after awhile i wanna upgrade the turbo.i juss wanna kno how much psi the sr20det redtop can handle?
Old 03-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Resident Asshole

un cap your wastegate vacumm line from the wastegate... and go for a test run. Watch the boost guage when you floor it. When you hear a loud pop make a note of where the boost guage is. When you rebuild your motor stay atleast 1psi under the number you came up with
6/14/43 - 7/11/06 2:24am
Old 03-27-2004, 10:06 AM
i wanna go fast

put simply, as an example:

stock T25 @ 10lbs = 225hp

s15 turbo @ 7lbs = 225hp

as turbo size goes up, the amount of boost needed to maintain a HP level goes down. at the same time as turbo size increases so does the max HP limit of that turbo.

a stock T25 is limited to 14/15lbs of boost because anything above that is completely ineficient for that turbo to do (too much heat not enough air being moved).

even after switching to a larger turbo, you must have enough fuel to match the HP level you are trying to attain. if you slapped a T3 turbo onto an SR and ran 14lbs of boost you'd blow the motor up because you wouldnt have enough fuel with stock injectors.

it is better to decide on a HP goal first, and then figure out what you want to use the car for (drift, daily drive, drag, highway, etc). then look at your budget. only after that can you start to plan for the right turbo.

stock T25 HP limit: 260-280rwhp
s15 turbo hp limit: 300-330rwhp (with injectors, tuning, MAF, ROM, etc)

lastly, as you increase turbo size, lag becomes an issue. your power band moves more to the right. instead of going big, pick an efficient powerband turbo, and be happy. bigger is not always better.

Last edited by Garage Battle; 03-27-2004 at 10:09 AM.