Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

RHD conversion

Old 03-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Communist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RHD conversion

is it legal? what about insurence? ive heard that it is a secondary offense, cops cant pull you over for it, but if they pull you over for speeding (or anything else), they will write you another ticket for having the steering wheel on the "wrong side." id really appreciate some feed back before i start my project.

i did the whole search thing and im lookin at several different forums, but they are all leaving me with the same questions. if i get a roll cage will it be any easier to pass inspection? and what about the insurence, if i claim it as a kit car, or some type of other title will that work?

thanks
china

Last edited by China; 03-26-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:38 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

WOW......

It is NOT illegal to DRIVE a RHD. vehicle. It is illegal to import a non-conforming vehicle into the USA, but if you CONVERT your LHD car to RHD, there is nothing wrong with that.

After you purchase a vehicle, you are entitled to perfrom "modifications" to it, as long as you do not break laws set forth by the Federal Gov't or Local States. EPA has laws against "tampering" with emission systems (removing catalytic convertor), but I have yet to see any laws relating to NHTSA rules and RHD conversions, especially in FLORIDA.

About Insurance. You are "insuring a car"....they could care LESS about whether it was LHD or RHD.....BUT (and this is a big BUT!) I fyou claim a DISCOUNT on your insurance for AIRBAGS, and you have disabled the airbags, you could be asking for trouble. So when the agent asks you "does it have airbags?"....be sure to say "no".

You also asked about a "rollcage" and inspection. What kind of "Inspection"? The state of Florida has no inspection (unless the car has a rebuildable title, and in that case, the DOT perfroms a road-worthiness inspection...and then you may have problems).

As far as "kit-car" titles.....a 240sx would NEVER qualify as a "kit-car"

Help?

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com
Old 03-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Communist

damn dood, you know your stuff. that helped alot.

thanks
china
Old 03-27-2004, 10:01 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Originally posted by China
damn dood, you know your stuff. that helped alot.

thanks
china
I know alot about: Modifing Cars, Insuring cars, building "rebuildable" cars, and "importing" cars.

I don't repeat "what someone else said"....I've read the LAWS myself.

Glad I could help.

Charles

Old 03-27-2004, 11:14 AM
FR Pilot

Originally posted by RiceRocket
I know alot about: Modifing Cars, Insuring cars, building "rebuildable" cars, and "importing" cars.

I don't repeat "what someone else said"....I've read the LAWS myself.

Glad I could help.

Charles
Yea, the very same laws that were lobby'd by U.S Automakers to prevent us from buying outside the U.S!

I love this country
Old 03-27-2004, 11:18 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Originally posted by Shin180sx
Yea, the very same laws that were lobby'd by U.S Automakers to prevent us from buying outside the U.S!

I love this country
How were these laws "lobbied" by US automakers?

It costs MORE to make an USA version of a car, due to the tough restrictions that the NHTSA and EPA place on the maunfactureres. The vehicles released in other countries meet there "local" gov't restrictions, which are not the same as ours.

If there was one "Global" standard for auto manufacturing, that would be different.

Charles

Old 03-27-2004, 03:39 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Originally posted by Force Fed 23
These guys are all lying. RHD is a felony, and all of our mailmen are law breakers.
You are absolutely correct. Anyone found drving a RHD is beaten on site and the car is sent to the crusher. Not only that, but they are impossible to drive......I mean shift with your left hand....thats incomprehensible!!!!!
Old 03-27-2004, 08:42 PM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Originally posted by tkrskyline
You are absolutely correct. Anyone found drving a RHD is beaten on site and the car is sent to the crusher. Not only that, but they are impossible to drive......I mean shift with your left hand....thats incomprehensible!!!!!
Hey...I've done it. I did it for 2 years when I lived in Japan.

Charles