Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Fix for the sticky odometer (S13)

Old 02-25-2004, 10:20 AM
boostmonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for the sticky odometer (S13)

I discovered something interesting while swapping out my melticated speedometer in my cluster the other day. While analyzing how the physical odometer worked I noticed why they tend to hang up over time. Here are the steps I took to fix it:

This goes from when the cluster is out of the car btw.

1. Remove plastic gauge cover by pressing down on the tabs that hold it on. This is best achieved with a screwdriver while holding the cluster in your lap.

2. Looking from the back of the cluster, unplug the white plug and remove all 4 phillips screws that hold the speedometer on. Remove and set aside.

3. You can now access the odometer portion of the cluster. Remove this by removing the two longer screws (both have washers and look the same as the screws that hold in the speedometer).

4. Carefully remove the odometer while noting the little motor that plugs into the speedometer. The reason the odometer hangs up is that the little white screw gear that powers the odometer physically backs off of the motor shaft over time and comes into contact with the numbers itself on the odometer side.

5. Remove the motor via the two phillips screws that hold it on.

6. Take finger, forehead or other pushing object and push the gear onto the shaft a little bit more. You only need a few mm. You can test fit it back on the housing and see if it is still contacting the numbers and ajust accordingly. You don't want this gear to bottom out on the motor either as it will bind.

7. Reinstall motor and tighten screws. Now wouldn't be a bad time to replace the bulbs in the back of the cluster either.

8. Reinstall everything else in reverse order.

Difficulty: 3/10
Time: 30-50 minutes depending on how adept you are at the r&r process getting the cluster out of the car.

Since my car is odometer exempt, she now sports 41k on the clock. This is roughly what the motor has on it but in km. If your car is NOT mileage exempt, don't futz with the mileage. I'm sure you can figure out how to do that process as well...it's not rocket science. Hope this cures all of your sticky issues.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:12 AM

What method did you find to be the easiest to get the gauge cluster itself out? Might have to yank one soon myself.....
Old 02-25-2004, 11:39 AM
boostmonkey

No matter what, you have to drop the column via the 2 12mm bolts holding it to the dash frame. Then after that it is a mere 5 screws and some clips to unplug.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:01 AM
boostmonkey

Personally, I fixed mine so I could keep track of gas mileage and oil change intervals. All of our old cars are odometer exempt so we can rack up any amount of miles we want.