Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Moving onto the Nissan Platform for the first time

Old 11-13-2003, 01:37 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving onto the Nissan Platform for the first time

Hello everyone...just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ralph and I've been a member for about 3 years here on TR. I've always been active usually in the Honda/Acura tech and classifieds but have decided to move onto a different type of platform. I will picking up my first nissan tonight(assuming all goes to plan)and will begin learning everything I can about it. I am pretty mechanically inclined as I've done most of the motor swaps/work into my crx and integra. I've moved over from a Integra GSR so this is totally new to me mostly being rwd. I've managed to strike a good deal on a 96 240sx(let the bandwagon hating begin) and hope to make it a pretty different 240 than most around Tampa.

So after all of that mess, my first question is...of the 2 240's I've started up...both have a slight jump towards the left side of the motor, kinda like its turning over to start. It starts right up and runs good. In a Honda/Acura I would think that it would be a bad motor/tranny mount. Is this normal for a Nissan RWD? Its not a HUGE jump...but a noticable one. Has stock motor and 5spd if it matters.

Other than that...I hope to get to know some of the Nissan guys/girls as I've come to meet alot of the Honda/Acura ones from TR. Mattback, I've talked to you a few times over the phone when I needed some questions answered about my pre-gsr swap as well as John/Vapor. And I've talked to Taylor when he was at SS who gave me some good info as well and hope to aquire somemore when it comes time to swap again. And I've heard nothing but good things about Scott from SS...so I look forwarding to picking your brain(if your available) in the near future.

TR Profile
Myspace Profile
Old 11-13-2003, 01:53 PM

welcome aboard man, i dont consider anyone really hopping on the bandwagon anymore, i consider it as a look up to the 240...but whatever the nissan forum will help you alot on your 240sx adventure..good luck and see you on th forums

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE FORSALE.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/3952387467.html

For sale: tool cart, air tools, welding stuff, sata jet RP digital spray gun + more
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/tls/3952277623.html
Old 11-13-2003, 02:19 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Thanks so far...I've been spending quite some time googleing(sp) around looking for info on how to swap a sr motor, and uprgrading, suspension work, etc. I've been searching for the best prices on clips and sets, but theres so many variances as far as whats included and prices. I'll keep on looking and hope to get some good info here on TR when my time comes. Thanks Jonas and Stars.

TR Profile
Myspace Profile
Old 11-13-2003, 02:20 PM

the swap itself is farely simple, iam sure if you got a few of us locals together for a day we could get a good amount of work done...suspension has its choices narrowed down as well...just depends how much you are willing to spend... as far as getting motorsets\ clips... i would help you out there if i was still selling motors but i recommend heavythrottle.com enjukuracing.com and i beleive secret services can get you a clip?? not sure but yeah hope that helps...

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE FORSALE.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/3952387467.html

For sale: tool cart, air tools, welding stuff, sata jet RP digital spray gun + more
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/tls/3952277623.html
Old 11-13-2003, 02:37 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

welcome. i dont preach bandwagon, its just another person for me to help. u sound like ur not a ricer so its all good. id probably be more inclined to yell bandwagon, if i did that, if you had an s13 as they outnumber s14s like 20 to 1.

anyways, what kinda mileage you have?
what are your power goals? what kind of 'sport driving' do u prefer? straight? curvy?

find what u want to get out of the car and how much money you can work with. look into the KA motor before assuming your goals are met with a swap, which can easily add up if you wanted it to.

im going to assume your car probably is closer to 100k like mine, so you might want to swap if you are cautious or wary about the longevity of the KA when ragging on it hard later on. also, probably best (but not necessary) to work on suspension and braking first and to get the feel of your car and to learn how to handle it really well before slapping extra 100hp on it
Old 11-13-2003, 05:09 PM
lifelong learner

yeah, 2.4 liter four cylinder liquid filled motor mounts, they rock a bit on startup..
Old 11-13-2003, 06:32 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Thanks guys for the input...as far as mileage...its offical..I picked it up tonight. 96 240sx, 5sp, red(not by choice) with 99k. Runs good as far as I can tell...thanks Mattback for the info on the rocking.

Dan, as far as my goals for the car...and NO, im not by any means a "ricer", I plan on working in a SR swap mainly because I've always wanted to own a turbo'd car and have the need for more power. Power goals for me realistically would be around the 350-400whp. I want to the car to be a 12 second street car. Im assuming that range should get me there...if not, then I'll have to re-adjust my goals. I like the 1320, but I've been reading up on drifting in the USA today and have heard that theres a track possibly opening up in Orlando in the near future, so Im going to give both of them a shot. Only thing is...Im not looking forward to changing out my tires so frequently as I've read you would have to do if you are a serious drifter. But that aspect of the goals of my car is dependant on having time away from work. I will work on the motor side first as far as the basic sr swap with tuning, then I'll work my way over to the suspension side...then I plan to move back over to the motor side to bump up the hp once I get some solid suspension/brake upgrades done, then I plan to finish off the exterior with a (I know some dont like it, but I do...and yes I know how much it costs...its just something I like, thats all) JDM conversion like the one pictured here.

OR if the S15 is TOO much $$ and TOO difficult, then I'll opt for the JDM S14 pictured here.

Im hoping the S15 is within my range down the road..but thats a while...and just something I would like to do with the car if the funds/time is available. I would obviously change the color of the car as well and add a nice/useful set of wheels.

I know the exterior sounds far fetched...but its something I know I can get done..but not a priotity at all.

TR Profile
Myspace Profile
Old 11-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Just me.

REPENT!!!... and thou shalt be saved......

seriously tho... welcome!!!
Old 11-13-2003, 09:01 PM
THE HAMMER

track in orlando? where'd ya hear that (yeah i know usa today, link to article?) ? I doubt it will ever happen...