Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Dammit, my car died!

Old 10-31-2003, 11:38 PM
boostmonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dammit, my car died!

This is a strange issue. I start my car up to leave work and everything is fine. I go to get gas (and leave it running while doing so) and everything is fine. I get about a block away from the gas station and it dies while running. There is no voltage (I would assume) to the fans or fuel pump (as the fuel pump relay has the wire that turns on that relay jumped from the positive wire for the fans, they turn on with the key). All the fuses are alright for the fan and fuel pump relay. The wire that hooks up to the fan is a brown wire with a white stripe from what little I could see @ 1am by the light of a match. I tried switching relays, but got no positive result. WTF just happened to my car?

Anyone with some knowledge wanna give me a lift to Valrico later today?
Old 11-01-2003, 07:38 AM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

ur not supposed to leave car running when u pump gas.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:18 AM
boostmonkey

Meh, it's a turbo car and it gets old waiting to turn it off all the time. I'm too cheap to get a turbo timer. I really don't think that caused the problem though.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:48 AM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

not saying it did, but its dangerous according to those signs at the gas station that say leave car off/no smoking

i did not know your car was turboed/swapped. u lucky bastard.
if it died while running, something came loose or shorted out, did you check the main IGN fusible link? thats the only thing that i would see just causing it all to die. or did it die out like you were out of gas? maybe then it would sound more like a fuel pump problem, but if it just clicked off it looks more to be that first one. or something on the harness is grounding out and causing something to blow. i'd come help but have to attend a wedding. im not too good at diagnosing anyhow but id help.

also u dont really need a turbo timer. if u havent been romping on it in the last few minutes, just idle into the gas station and wait about 30 seconds. like while your getting your wallet and stuff out and popping the gas cap, then u can cut it off and it shouldnt be too hard on it unless you were romping on it all the way into the gas station.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:06 PM
boostmonkey

I fixored it, horray for melted stock relays.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:19 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Wiring problems suck. I hope that your problems are not extensive or systemic.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:13 AM
boostmonkey

They are starting to be. I think my car just likes to melt things. *shrugs*
Old 11-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Sideways Maffia

do u remember that family that died cuz the dumbass dad left the car running like 8 years ago at a citgo??? i'd just wait a few minutes to turn off the car (until u can afford a $70 timer off ebay) instead of risking the static electric spark then BOOM...
Old 11-04-2003, 03:07 AM
boostmonkey

Which is why I make sure I ground myself before I touch anything related to the gas area of the car. This is espically crutial during the winter when static electricity is naturally higher due to the reduced humidity in the air. It has nothing to do with the fact that your car is running, but rather with how your ass slides against the fabric on your seat to cause static electricity. Studies have shown that it is the vapor coming from the physical pump nozzle itself that causes the fires, not wether or not the car is running. It mostly happens to women due to the different fabrics that they wear and their perpensity to conduct static electricity when they enter/exit the vehicle. Regardless, I always touch the side of the car after I get out and also do so before I touch the gas pump to refuel. It is just common sense and I do so regardless of the season. I figure that diesel trucks rarely cut their engines during refueling (even though diesel fuel is less volitile) and it does not hurt them, so I am pretty safe as long as I am careful about it. It's not like I am burning a tiki torch 2" away from the nozzle.

Cliffs notes: don't be stupid while refueling.

Last edited by craig_302; 11-04-2003 at 03:10 AM.