Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Being different while being the same...

Old 09-12-2003, 12:31 PM
THE HAMMER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being different while being the same...

Someone said in another thread that doing a SR isnt doing any thinking at all. and its just like buying a "turbokit"....... and also that Nissan did all the thinking for me.......

My reply to this was that if i replace everything from intake to exhaust besides the motor, what has nissan thought out except the motor itself?

The retort to this was that i'd copy one of the "big-dogs" and not do any thinking of my own....

While i really enjoy what enthalpy has done with his vehicle, as well as Phase 2, and others... My goals arent what theirs are, I dont feel like having such a lopsided powerband myself... However I really like some of the essentials that they use (top mount turbos, haltec E11, Intercooler choices) to get to their goals..

My goals are different, I see results and then i Pick and choose.... Copying anyone isnt fun, and this is where the thinking comes in. I dont wanna reengineer indivudal parts or anything ( I'm not Enthalpy) but I also dont want a "preselected" set of stuff like found in turbo kits.

Although i havent settled on a setup, nor do I have funding to create one at this moment, I do know several things that I wanna mix and match.... (this is just power mods, suspension and stuff is also a mix and match process)

This is in Item then who i got it from setup

ECU Rom Tuning for my Initial Setup (Enthalpy)

A BigT28 (JDM S14)

Greddy V-spl intercooler (General SS)

Blitz Super sound bov (from myself, my old Z had an old skewl one)

Apexi N1 (Taylor)

Tial Wastegates (maybe not for use now, but when i need one, Mattback/SS)

This is kinda my initial setup..... save money, enjoy the car.... if i got more i'd do this..

SC50 For a road racing turbo.. (Mattback for showing me Precision turbo, and my own calling of that company to decide on the SC50)

GT25R for experimenting vs the SC50........ (my own longings)

SC61 for dyno power after building a motor (Mattback + Enthalpy + SS)

Haltech E11 (Enthalpy

Top mount turbo manifold of some kind (Enthalpy)

Now i know most of this is from Secret Services, and i havent decided on manifolds yet because by the time i can actually do this, the best types will have changed..... Same for any of the other parts... But i'm sure anyone will agree that its more unique than just buying a Greddy 20G kit and just slapping it on..... Kits always have to compromise to be competitive I think. I cant see how in the end, any kit can beat a well thought out mix-and-match setup(for KA or SR).....

Its all about matching YOUR goals, and everyones personal wants and needs are different. Now I'm not saying that if you went out and Fmax'd your S14 that you are BAD! I just wouldnt have followed the same path...

With all the SR's out there now (especially in the tampa/stpete area) it dosent seem "unique" anymore, but you have to remember, there are very few makes and models of cars rarer than a SR in a USDM 240. You will always be unique when you mod your car because of personal preference...

Just so everyone knows, I'd like to Saturday and Sunday drive my Sil80 when I actually create it. Run it at daytona/seabring club racing events or time trials, and autocross it as often as possible... My goal is around 350whp on initial setup, and maybe 400-450rwhp with a motor built for endurance racing someday...
Old 09-12-2003, 10:18 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

just a quick fyi, JGS now has a new version for SR, an equal length style, it is same fitment as the jgs log, as in you could change them out cuz it uses the same jig and placement. it looks like it will flow a little better, even though phase 2 was on a log i think. im probably going to go with that manifold way down the road. its fairly cheap too and jgs is real quality from what ive seen.

anyways, before the other one got loxored, i want to say

"imitation is the greatest form of flattery"

with that said:

"if something is proven to work, use it"

i dont think anyone will get pissed that you copied their setup. i wouldnt be, esp if it was good and worked. for one it will tune easier since they can give you pointers, and you will at least know that its worked for them and it shouldnt be too hard to work for you. now copying someone exteriorly/appearance wise might not have the same feelings (unless ur going for 'confusing twins' setup)

as for SR being premade, yeah i guess but i will say that it is easier to get a KA-T running than it is for an sr swap...now before people get pissy about that statement, ill add that it is easier to get an SR running RIGHT/RELIABLE than it is a KA-T. thats fact. there are exceptions (maf hack works great for basics, some people have troublesome sr swaps [i.e. might also be due to sloppy install]), but for the most part its easier to bolt on ka parts and run around, but its easier on the stress with an sr. i just have too many paranoia issues with trying to beat on my ka-t, knowing that 95k with 40k harder miles (me owning the car) and a motor NOT built for boost (9.5:1cr, etc etc) that someday im gonna have problems. again, exceptions (dennis, TY, greaser). but ive already blabbed too much ka vs. sr and i shouldnt cuz i hate vs. talk.

mike, i understand your mix and match but i dont understand the names is that who youre claiming to "copy" by using that part? im just curious, cuz taylor wasnt the 1st to have an n1 and thats dime a dozen in 240 land, and most of that stuff is, minus gt3040 and some of the more rarer used parts like the e11 and such i do understand that. but like i said, go with something that works.

as for me, i dont care if anything requires more thinking or not cuz

in the end if its faster it doesnt matter.

also good meeting you, jdm s14 (broke 12s!!!!), jonas, and the other peoples i didnt remember and stuffs. nissans repped decently for what we had out there. john has given me inspiration for how a basic setup with open diff in a heavier, non gutted s14 can run low 13s (while blowing pipes off still). awesome.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:38 PM
THE HAMMER

when i quoted parts.. i was naming who influenced me to like the product first..... not necessaraly who had it first..

Great meeting all of you, i was really impressed with nissan turnout compared to earlier events. I really hope we can continue to be the tight knit family that seems to have developed on this board...

Mike
Old 09-13-2003, 10:18 AM
THE HAMMER

thats what i'm talkin about vapor....... it always ends up that way. and really each car is unique. because of the owner!